Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Drop Everything and Make It - or at least Try!

I love the term coined by Sandra at MMM! Quilts, that some projects are DrEAMi moments - Drop Everything and Make It!



I'm admitting right now, though, that I am more of a Drop Everything and TRY it kind of gal.  My squirrel moments don't always end up in completed projects.  (Like last month's DrEAMi project.  Still mulling over where I want that one to go!)

So this month, I decided to participate in a new QAL, the PlayImprov QAL over at Elm Street Quilts.  This seemed tailor-made for someone like me who has been fascinated by improv quilting, but just didn't know where to start.  I posted about my initial block making try in this post, and you can read lots more about this QAL at Elm Street Quilts here.

The first block we made was a wonky log cabin.  Here's mine -


This week's prompt was to make improv triangles.  The idea is to NOT use your rotary cutter and rulers, but to cut odd shaped pieces with your scissors, or even to use leftover bits and pieces to create these triangles.

Since I'm using a set of Kona solids for this project, I just cut a few triangular sort of pieces, and stitched away!


I'll admit to some measuring and trimming up, but I didn't know any other way to make these fit into this - 


Because one decision I did make about this QAL was that I didn't want to end up with another set of blocks that required more work to become something finished!  Lol!  So, I thought, why not start with my log cabin as the center, and add on as I tried new things each week?  I think this will work!

Trying something a little out of my comfort zone - without a real plan - who knew it could be so much fun?!  

Linking up with Sandra at MMM! Quilts for her monthly DrEAMi linkup.  See you there!





16 comments:

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

It is looking great. I like how you added the triangles. And the colors are wonderful!

Sandra Walker said...

GREAT idea to just keep adding on! I have done very little improv, both difficult and freeing at the same time for me. All solids too, like my Honey Pot Bee, and that is tough for me too! Thanks so much for linking up again with DrEAMi!

Libby in TN said...

Please tell me it gets easier! You're smart to be thinking in terms of a finished project rather than just messing around. I need to at least try it.

KaHolly said...

You did an awesome job!

claudia said...

I think that looks great!

Linda said...

I like where you're going with this!

gayle said...

That's a right attractive squirrel ya got there, ma'am!

margaret said...

what a good idea to add each time, wonky log cabins really appeal to me as I have such trouble with getting them perfect in fact do not think I have ever managed! The triangles look good with the wonkyness

Vicki in MN said...

I think you nailed it, it's looking great!

Lydsfire said...

The colors are so modern. Love it!

canuckquilter said...

I love the idea of adding on to the block with what you try each week. Looking good so far!

JanineMarie said...

What a neat idea. It will be fun to see where it takes you, especially since you don't know what the instructions will be from week to week. Truly improv!

Raewyn said...

Very wonky and improv looking - and looking good! Great idea to add to what you have done previously.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Looks like you've been having FUN!!!

Preeti said...

Love the use of solids for improv quilting. Your color choices rock!!!

Kate said...

You got a great start. Love the colors you are using!