Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, February 24, 2017

Working on a Finish

When I was making the blocks for this 16 Patch quilt last year, during the Rainbow Scrap Challenge for 2016, I knew it wasn't going to always belong to me.  I didn't know who it was for yet, but sometimes quilts take awhile to let you know who needs them the most.


I enjoyed everything about making this quilt - the simple patchwork, my favorite fabric scraps, using low volume backgrounds, and the challenge of deciding how to lay it out.

This week, I know who this quilt belongs to.  So it is time to finish it up!

I chose this gray pin dot for the backing - 



and got the layers put together and basted - always my least favorite part of the process.


I'm quilting it with my walking foot in my go-to quilting "design" - diagonal cross-hatching.


(Note to self - it's time to dig into your new book, Walk, by Jacquie Gering - and learn some new walking foot quilting techniques!)

I'll be giving this quilt to my sweet sister-in-law, who lost her husband in a very tragic accident last summer. When she reminded me that their wedding anniversary was coming up, I knew it was time to finish this quilt and get it to her.  Maybe it will give her some little bit of comfort.  I hope...

Now back to work!  Linking up to ScrapHappy Saturday over at SoScrappy.



22 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Sweet quilt, sweet sentiment.

gayle said...

It really is a hug disguised as a quilt. Well done!

claudia said...

The blocks are pretty, the backing is great, it will go with the top perfectly. The quilt's choice of new owner is spot on, she will love it!

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

What a beautiful, scrappy quilt! She will love it. I am a huge fan of diagonal cross hatch quilting too.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I agree. Quilts always find the perfect home. It will be a wonderful gift.

margaret said...

I am sure sister will be very touched by this gift a lovely quilt. Like you I hate the layering up process

Jan @Cocoa Quilts said...

These blocks turned out amazing. I love your cross hatch quilting. I am sure she will love this gift and it's timing.

Sandra Walker said...

Aww. It's I don't know, I guess quite profound how we make quilts because we have a need, and then when we learn of a need of a family member or friend, one of our quilts gets a home. This will be a lovely quilts. Nvm breaking out the Walk book, break out the FMQ foot honey! grin

Vicki in MN said...

The perfect way to wrap your SIL in a hug and let her know you are thinking about her.

LA Paylor said...

oh, that's good... what a connection. You listen to your intuition... very nice...linking us one to another

Pamela Arbour said...

Your quilt turned out beautiful and I am sure the quilting will make it even more beautiful.

Gretchen Weaver said...

This quilt will make your SIL feel very loved. I've just started doing wavy line quilting instead of the straight lines. It's amazing how accomplished it made me feel.

Cathy said...

Your SIL is going to love that quilt. You are so sweet! Xo

Katie said...

What a great home for a great quilt. The blocks are simple, but make a great show all together. I'm sure your sister in law will love it

Katie said...

What a great home for a great quilt. The blocks are simple, but make a great show all together. I'm sure your sister in law will love it

Deb A said...

What a beautiful quilt. Sometimes they know who they belong to.Hope she gets some comfort from it.

Kathy S. said...

Sometimes we just have to wait for a quilt to speak to us. Prayers for your sweet sister-in-law. Hope it gives her comfort.

Cathy said...

Glad the quilt is going home! Congrats on an almost finish!

PaulaB quilts said...

May your love and caring reach her through this special quilt.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your SIL is going to appreciate this beautifully scrappy quilt!! As for your timing? It is surely impeccable.

Raewyn said...

Such a lovley scrappy quilt and the perfect outcome - I'm sure your sil will love and appreciate it.

Kate said...

Sending a quilty hug is always a great gift.