Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

I Like Thursday #19 - Hiking

Living as close to the Rocky Mountains as I do, hiking has always been a favorite activity of mine to do with my husband or friends.  Sometimes, though, there isn't time to drive a ways for a hike, and something a little closer will have to do.  Lucky for me, our town has turned a set of old gravel pits into a natural area, and the other day I enjoyed an afternoon hike there.


It was a beautiful day, probably 65 degrees out, in February!  Other people were there, too, enjoying the sun, walking their dogs, fishing, or just sitting on a bench and enjoying the view.


I'm always on the lookout for birds - on this day I found geese and ducks.


There are always interesting sights - this log reminded me of a pelican!


This time of year, the grasses and reeds are dried and brown, but still beautiful in so many ways.


And someone had created some Valentine art!


I sure enjoyed my walk at River's Edge.  A little bit of nature in the middle of the city!

Thanks for visiting my I Like Thursday post!  For more Thursday inspiration, be sure to visit LeeAnna's post at Not Afraid of Color, and also check out the other blogs she has linked at the bottom of her post.






9 comments:

Linda said...

What a beautiful area you live in. I used to have a cousin that lived in CO, and when I was young I told her how lucky she was to see mountains every day. She was so used it she said she didn't really think about it. I don't think I'd ever get "used to it"! I love the browns of winter also and find beauty in our leafless trees this time of year. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for giving us a taste of your walk. I can almost hear the birds! Happy Thursday!

LA Paylor said...

the picture above the heart should be made into a quilt. I therefore task you with the doing of that! Carol at quiltedfabricart does a lot of that kind of thing in case you want to see. Thing about walking is, you see something different with each walk even in the same location. Thanks for the calm this morning

Vicki in MN said...

Are you getting some more white stuff today or will it just miss you?

PaintedThread said...

It's interesting how we see animals out of the inanimate. What a pretty area.

Shannon said...

So fabulous to see pics from your hikes! I grew up in the mountains and still miss the easy wilderness access now that I live in the city in the midwest. I'm counting the days until our trip this summer to the Tetons. Happy Thursday!

Marly said...

What a delightful location; I'd be walking there often too if I lived close.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Love the pelican :) and the heart! Thanks for taking us on your walk!!! Have a great day!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

A pat on the back for whoever had the notion to turn a gravel pit into such a lovely natural place for all to enjoy. Exercise, fresh air, natural Vitamin D...the best!