Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, February 26, 2017

A Tale of Three Quilters

Okay - maybe four quilters were technically involved in this quilt.  Because - the whole thing started when Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun than Housework held her twice a year Quilty Orphan Adoption, and I commented on Susan's post about a project she didn't want to work on anymore.

Well, pretty soon a package came in the mail for me, and it was Susan's project - all cut out and organized perfectly to make it easy to finish up.

I started with this -


and had a finished flimsy in January.


Meanwhile, I won a prize of long arm quilting from Carole at From My Carolina Home


so I sent the flimsy and backing off to Carole to be quilted.  It came back last weekend, and this week, I stitched on the binding to finish everything up.


I'm so pleased with this finish!  The quilting is perfect for it - hearts and swirls in a pretty brown thread that has a bit of a shine to it.


I had told Carole that this quilt was going to be donated to a Silent Auction to benefit a local charity - the B.A.B.Y. Foundation.  And, surprise to me - she generously included a second quilt when she sent this one back to me, another one that can go to the silent auction.  Thank you, Carole!  It's such a cute one - an ABC I Spy quilt. 


I'll be passing these two little quilts on to my friend (who is a quilter, too, by the way!) who volunteers for the B.A.B.Y. Foundation and in April I'll get to see them on display at the dinner and silent auction.  I think we'll make some money for them, don't you?

Sharing at Cynthia's Sunday link-up, Oh Scrap!









11 comments:

Linda said...

How awesome! Your adopted quilt turned out so beautifully. Good luck to both quilts at the auction. :)

Jayne said...

This quilt made the rounds! I love the Orphan block swap, and especially love that someone else can give life to the blocks. You did and so did the quilting! What a super nice thing for Carole to do by including a second quilt for the auction!

gayle said...

Lovely quilt and lovely story to go with it! I hope both quilts raise a ton of money.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Thank you for mentioning me! I sure hope you'll post pics at the auction and let us know how the quilts did.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Quilters are so generous! What a great story for a previously unwanted UFO. It looks great. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap and for participating in the orphan adoption event.

Sherry VF said...

What a wonderful story of giving.

claudia said...

This post made my heart feel good! You are such a giving person, and see others are joining in to help!

Vicki in MN said...

How cool is that! A wonderful story, and now the orphan will end up useful afterall!

margaret said...

what a lovely pot you have shred today, some lovely quilters for sure. " quilts that I am sure will raise lots for the babies

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

I love both of them! mary in Az

Kate said...

What a great way to use your "found" project. Both quilts are beautiful and should do really well at the auction.