Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, February 19, 2017

A Couple of QALs

I always enjoy seeing the different kinds of Block of the Week or Month projects and Quilt Alongs that my quilty friends are participating in.  Although I don't join in very often, I came across two in the last week that I couldn't resist.

Patty, over at Elm Street Quilts, is hosting the Play Improv QAL, and it sounded just enough different from anything I've ever done that I knew I wanted to give it a try.  


This is a QAL where the goal is to play with color, shape, and fabric, but without patterns or any other specific requirements.  Patty is giving a prompt every Monday, and from there, it's up to the participants to decide where to take it.

Improv piecing is still pretty new to me, and I've been wanting to dig into it a little more, as well as play with solid colors that are a bit different from what I usually sew with.  A few weeks ago, I picked up some fat quarters of Kona Pool, Ruby, Sprout, Canary, and Cream.  (There's some navy in that pile, too, but it's for something else!)



The first prompt, from this past Monday, was to make a wonky log cabin block.  Patty included some examples and tips for this type of sewing, and then it was up to me to see what I could do.  This was fun! My first attempt at a wonky improv log cabin measures about 10 x 12 inches.  


I'm looking forward to seeing what's coming up for tomorrow's prompt!

I also decided to join in with Jen and Jan's Mini Blog Hop and QAL, because I always love to make minis and this one looked like a fun one to try!  This one is hosted by Jen of A Dream and a Stitch and Janice of Color, Creating, and Quilting.  You can read about this QAL at either link.

Jen has created an adorable pattern called Quilter's Laundry Day for us to make, and then the plan is to share it in a Blog Hop on March 10.

This pattern looked perfect for me to pull fabrics from my scraps and stash, which is my favorite way to create, so I got started right away!


One of the first steps is to make a mini quilt that hangs on the line - 


and not long after that, Section A was complete!


I'll be back with my reveal post on March 10th!

Looking for more fun sewing inspiration and ideas?  Check out the link ups over at Oh Scrap! at Quilting is More Fun than Housework today!




10 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Both QALs look like fun and easy to do without bogging you down. I look forward to watching your progress.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I am so glad you joined those QALs. I was intrigued by both but I am resisting. Now I can enjoy your blocks. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Jayne said...

I totally forgot about the Play Improv QAL! I better get going!! And of course, I still have the Laundry Room to get busy with! Love where you are headed!!

gayle said...

Oh, those QALs look like such fun! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with them!

Sandy Panagos said...

The Improv QAL sounds like so much fun! I bet you'll really grow in creativity with that one.

Janice Holton said...

Loving the sneak peak of your Laundry Day mini! :)

Linda said...

Both projects look like fun! Love your laundry day start. :)

Wendy F said...

I love all your projects! Thanks for sharing and for sharing the links to interesting QALs.

Raewyn said...

Two fun projects! And thanks for the links to them - I'm tempted just to have a wee peek...!

Kate said...

You are off to a good start on both quilt alongs. Love your mini quilt for the second project.