Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

I Like Thursday #16 - This and That

It's just about Thursday again, and I'm ready to share a few more things I like, from the past week!  But before I do, I realized that I completely forgot something I wanted to include in last week's Texas post that I liked seeing on our trip down there.


It's an alligator!  (in the wild!)  We, of course, had planned out some places to go for bird watching on this trip, but found this guy (or gal) instead!  We sat and watched as he or she lurked under the water in this pond for quite a while, then headed for the fallen trees, where several turtles were sunning themselves.  We expected to see him grab one of those turtles for lunch, but they weren't all at all worried about him!  For us Colorado folk, this was pretty exciting!

Now for this week's likes - 

I like our National Parks!  They are the protectors of the most beautiful places in this country of ours, and I think should be appreciated and cared for.  I am lucky to live not far from Rocky Mountain National Park, and my hubby and I enjoy going up there as often as we can, even in January!  Here was our view yesterday!


This is Long's Peak, one of our 14,000+ foot peaks in Colorado.

I like being the right age for this - a Senior Pass that enables me to go visit any National Park for free, for ever and ever!  That is a nice perk of being 62 and over!  :)


We also took a little road trip to Boulder, Colorado, the other day.  Boulder is a college town, the home of the University Of Colorado, and a fun place to visit where you can find interesting shops and restaurants.

Boulder is where the Celestial Seasonings Tea Headquarters are, and we needed to stock up on some of our favorite teas, so we stopped off there first.


I like bargains!  All the teas were on sale for just a little more than $1.00 a package, so we got four boxes of our favorite teas for less than $5.00!  Whoo hoo!

One of the reasons we were headed to Boulder was so that I could shop for a new pair of Crocs.  I found out last summer that you shouldn't leave your Crocs out in the sun because they change shape and will no longer be comfortable.  So, it was time for a new pair!

More bargains - the Crocs store we went to was, unfortunately, going out of business and everything was half off!  Whoo hoo #2!


I like wine-tasting.  One of our favorite local wineries, Bookcliff Vineyards, is in Boulder, and since we are members there, we get a free tasting once a month.  Saturday was a good day to visit the tasting room, so we enjoyed some sips of our favorite wines and brought home a bottle - one with my favorite name, "Friday's Folly!"


Fortunately, it tastes good on other days of the week, too!

On the way home, we always go through Lyons, Colorado, a small town on the very edge of the mountains that has one of my favorite quilt shops.  I really like Lyons Quilting!  I almost always have to stop at this quilt shop when we are driving through.  They have a great selection of fabric, and are the only place in my area where I know I can find any color of Kona cotton solids.  


I needed some Navy for a project I'm working on, and then I also picked out 5 fat quarters of other solids that I'm going to save for something... not sure what yet.

Happy Thursday - I hope you are having a great week!  I'm joining in with LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color in celebrating things we like, love, enjoy, and are thankful for.  Be sure to check out LeeAnna's post today, too!








7 comments:

Libby in TN said...

We vacationed on the SC coast one year and had crocs sunning in the back yard. Scary creatures! Love the National Parks, too. And our Tennessee State Parks, as well.

Vicki in MN said...

You did get some real bargains along the way. Your road trip sounds wonderful! Thanks for the Mtn. pic, makes me remember our trip there last summer. Too bad we didn't have more time so we could have met up!!

Linda said...

I live vicariously through your road trips in CO - love the mountains there. My very first view of the mountains was when I was 6 years old on a vacation with my family. Growing up in hilly Oklahoma, the mountains were magical and still are.
Oh for a shop with all the Kona colors!

Unknown said...

National parks top my list too! And what a great tea bargain! Thanks for a fun list!

LA Paylor said...

Oh National Parks are the best! Thank you to Teddy Roosevelt! A great president who helped the country become better. The colors you chose of fabric are exciting together. They are an inspiration just as they are! Imagine a quilt using those shades.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Oh what a wonderful post! I love your post on the parks and especially the wonderful fabrics you purchased! Have a great week!

Kate said...

What a great weekend trip. The alligators in TX were a surprise. They used to find some big ones in the ditches around the plant we used to work at. That was always exciting.