Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, July 14, 2023

Zipper blocks in red...

I took an afternoon off from quilting the Rainbow Neighbourhood this week, and sewed up some red zipper blocks.  These are fast and satisfying, if you just feel like piecing something!


I was inspired to get these out and work on them after seeing Cathy's beautiful Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah quilt top made out of zipper blocks.  It's so fun!  The zipper block instructions come from Klein Meisje Quilts.  She has a great quilt made from these blocks, too.

My collection of zipper blocks is small, but I enjoy making a few each month.  To make a small lap quilt, I'm probably going to need at least triple this amount - so I'll just keep making them!


Now back to the previously scheduled quilting plans.  I'm ready to start on the section that includes the red bird house, so that's good timing, right?!

I'm quilting this in a 2 inch grid with the serpentine stitch, so all it needs for marking is a few dots with the Frixion pen every so often and I can stitch right along!

Sharing at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and at 









19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice collection of zipper blocks and your quilting is coming along! Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Linda said...

Those zipper blocks are so attractive, that is going to be a great quilt. Looks like your quilting is going well!

Libby in TN said...

Your zipper blocks will make a very cheerful quilt. I am going to use leftovers from making color stix blocks to try my hand at making some zippers. Thanks for the inspiration!

Sara said...

The zipper blocks are so cute. Bet you could make them most any size depending on how big of squares you want to use. I love these!!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Your zipper blocks are looking good. I like that some have a light background and other backgrounds are in the RSC monthly color! It's going to be a fun quilt.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have never used a Frixon pen I though each time the quilt was washed you have to iron the marks to get them out - is that not how it works?

Cathy said...

I love your fresh, crisp red Zip blocks this week - they’re so fun. I am so addicted to these blocks!!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Great quick block, a great RSC challenge block.

Mari said...

Love the zipper blocks. They are so cheery, especially all together. Grid quilting may be tedious, but it does always look great.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I sure am enjoying watching your collection of zipper blocks grow. I think I'm going to have to make some of those in the future!!!

grammajudyb said...

Your zipper blocks are so bright and cheerful! Great selection of colors and you can just keep sedans sewing till you’re ready to quit! I’m pretty impressed with your quilting on Rainbow Neighbourhood! It’s going to be awesome!

Deb A said...

The zipper blocks look great. I was wondering how you marked for the serpentine stitch. Now I know. Enjoy your weekend.

Kate said...

Those zipper blocks are really fun. They will make a really cute quilt. Enjoy your stitching time this weekend.

Laura said...

I had never heard of the zipper block until I started seeing it on your blog. These are fun and quick blocks! Can't wait to see your finished version! :)

Bernie Kringel said...

So cute - the zipper blocks and the house block. Really fun stuff Diann!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

I am in love with your zipper blocks, Diann. I am going to have to put this block on my to do list. Your birdhouse block is gorgeous . Mmmm Mmm! Look at the nest fabric- too cute!

Nann said...

Love the zippers!

Jeanna said...

Love the zipper blocks, they look great all next to each other. I love the fussy cut birds in your house, too.

Susie H said...

I think those zipper blocks might be contagious! Hahaha! They sure are pretty and the 2 finished quilts you linked us up with are gorgeous. I can see why you needed to make one too.