Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, July 12, 2023

I Like Thursday #344

Good morning, friends!  Hope you're having a good week!  I picked my very first cherry tomatoes this week.  Yum!

Now, though, there are a bunch of green ones on the plant, and none are acting like they want to ripen.  Any ideas why that is?

One of the perks of having our son come home to stay for awhile is that he likes to cook, and will make things on request, like his tasty pasta salad.  I requested it yesterday, got all the ingredients, and voila!

It is as good as it looks and lots of leftovers, too.

I really enjoyed this book this week.  I think I read it in about 24 hours!  Catherine Ryan Hyde is becoming a favorite author of mine - I'm going to have get some more of her books.

This little cross-stitch design from PinkernPunkin Quilting is finished.  Isn't it fun?  It was meant to be my 4th of July stitching, but took longer than I expected.  The straight line stitches that form USA were surprisingly challenging to get right.  And the A really doesn't look right still - should I re-do it?


Our question of the week is about local festivals we've attended, and the one here in Loveland that is actually pretty well-known is called Sculpture in the Park.  It's coming up in August.


I've shared pictures of the sculpture park on the blog many times - it's one of my favorite places in town to wander, look at the sculptures, watch birds, and walk with a friend.  Coming up pretty soon, we'll start to see it being transformed with huge tents where sculptors from all over the country have been invited to bring their work to show for a weekend show.  It's pretty amazing!  We don't go every year, but have gone several times - it's an almost overwhelming amount of art to take in.

One last photo taken at the sculpture park - it's a great place to photograph quilts!



Sharing at I Like Thursday at Not Afraid of Color.













16 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Yum, first tomatoes! Pass the salad, please!!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Love the sculpture park and the quilt you displayed! First tomato WOW! Good for you and enjoy the salad. Have a great day!

Linda said...

Those tomatoes look yummy and so does that salad! Is it just me that thinks the tri-colored pasta tastes better? :) Tomatoes are tricky, they need heat (not sun) to ripen, but sometimes it gets too hot to ripen. I love that sculpture park quilt photo.

Libby in TN said...

Now I've got to make pasta salad for supper! I think your quilt in the sculpture park is one of my favorites (until you next one).

Kate said...

It was nice when Grad Girl was home, she likes to try out new recipes on us. Your 4th of July stitchery looks good, I don't think you need to redo it. Have a great weekend.

grammajudyb said...

Lots of good likes today! I like pasta salad, and I think Linda is right! The tri-colored pasta tastes better! I’m a fan of Catherine Ryan Hyde also! I’ve read several of her books and have another on my TBR list. I’ll look for that title!
Don’t need to redo the “A”. It’s all good! I want to do a red truck stitch too! I might have to have a Christmas tree in mine, as slow as I am!
Thanks for the info about the Sculpture in the Park! I’ll tell our daughter!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love sculpture parks - none around here but I used to see so many when we traveled - some towns had so many it was so nice to see. I have not read that author and will look and see what is available.

Jeanna said...

How nice to have your son home for a while and BONUS -- he cooks, too! Your little stitchery is cute, I wouldn't redo the straight stitches. Love the quilt on the sculpture, too.

Angela said...

That is an amazing place to photograph quilts! Yay for your son cooking pasta for you. Yum

MissPat said...

You're channeling Preeti with your photo shoot on the sculpture. That author is new to me. I'll check her out.
Pat

PaintedThread said...

Ooh - tomatoes! I just found my first green ones on the vine. I can't wait! Pretty quilt, and that's a great place to photograph it!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

First tomatoes. . . YUM! Your cross stitch is super cute. Isn't it fun to look forward to an event like Sculpture in the Park? It will be here before you know it!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Home grown tomatoes are the best. Are those yellow pear tomatoes? My big tomatoes are starting to come in too. Oh, it is so nice to hear that your dear son likes to cook and the pasta looks delicious! Your truck stamp looks amazing, Diann. I am so honored that you stitched this little truck. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Have a great weekend.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I like your portable cutting set up you showed in the last post. One must adapt as my mother used to say. I really should look into rotary cutters. Meanwhile how beautiful your quilt looks there! What an interesting spot. I also love your cross stitched piece. I don't like having full coverage areas and you did so well here with yours. And the letters turned out just fine...we are our own worse critics that's for sure.

chrisknits said...

I bet that statue enjoyed cuddling your quilt! I love that pattern.

Susie H said...

Your tomato harvest looks very appetizing. My cherry tomato plant finally has a tomato just starting to turn. Hopefully before the end of the month it'll be ready to pick. There are tons of green ones so it should be a pretty good year, if I can keep the tomato hornworm away! How nice to have someone home to cook and YES! that pasta salad looks very delicious! I don't think you need to redo the A. It looks just fine. Hope you're having a great weekend!