Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, July 26, 2023

I Like Thursday #346

Happy Thursday, friends!  Hope you're having a great week!  I'm joining in with I Like Thursday at Not Afraid of Color.  

My tiny gardening efforts are going pretty well this year!  This pot is looking really pretty right now.  It started with the white petunias in the Spring.   Then all these volunteer marigolds came up.  


Right around the corner is the mini vegetable garden.  I've been harvesting green beans like crazy, and there are cucumbers growing on the right side.  On the left are Jack Be Little pumpkins, and a few are growing there, too!


I've been enjoying Kate Morton's latest book this week, Homecoming.  It takes place in Australia, which is a different and interest setting for me.  It's historical fiction, set in the 1950s and today.


We did some rearranging yesterday and I have a new (mostly temporary) sewing nook in the corner of our master bedroom.  Younger son is staying with us for awhile and has just started a new job.  It is fully remote, which requires a fancy computer set-up and we decided the big sewing table in our basement family room worked best for him.  

I think this will work for me until he decides where he wants to live next.
And this afternoon I was able to finish quilting the Rainbow Neighborhood!
Whoop, whoop!  Binding tomorrow.  I'm ready to finish this one up!

Have a great day, everyone!


















16 comments:

Michele McLaughlin said...

Sounds like the sewing is going okay in your new nook! It's nice to have your son home though, even if it is temporary. I love your flowers! So nice to have volunteer marigolds...Wow! Have a great day Diann!

Linda said...

Look at those pumpkin blooms! Are you telling me there are little pumpkins growing? That planter box is amazingly productive. How neat it is to have volunteer marigolds. It amazes me when I think about how cold it gets at your location. So you leave your soil in the pots?
I'm so glad you found a space that will work for you. I think about your situation every day! Do you think he might decide to stay nearby, or does he have his eye on a different location than CO?
Stay cool!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

hope you son will like his new job and soon find a place of his own to life. All these ups and downs in our children's life can be tiring! Glad you were able to rearrange your bedroom enough for a sewing nook.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Pretty flowers, and I like a good Kate Morton story!

Deb A said...

Your garden looks very happy! Love the new sewing area you created. I hope the new job goes well for your son. I'll have to check out that book - I'm listening to 1984 right now (Emily has to read it for school and she had some questions so I'm reading to see if I can be a sounding board). Have a great day.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Your garden is a wonderful spark of color and you're a great Mom to let your son use your sewing space!!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...


I'm wondering if I could handle that Quadrille pattern, Diane. Yours is turning out so pretty. And your sewing nook looks so cosy! Yes, Rainbow Neighbourhood is large, isn't it. I kept adding and adding quilting lines to mine till I finally said enough. You three have a great weekend.

Jeanna said...

Your flowers and vegetables are certainly flourishing. I love the colorful sewing nook you've set up. Congratulations on an almost completely finished Rainbow Neighborhood. You really have a lot to like this week.

MissPat said...

You get a gold (or 2 or 3) star for being a tolerant mother to your boomerang son. But, at least, you've found a way to keep sewing. I didn't get any volunteer marigolds this year, even though it was a relatively mild winter. I buy a half flat of marigolds (and zinnias) from the local boy scouts each spring, so I have plenty anyway.
Pat

Susie H said...

Oh I hate the thought of moving/rearranging sewing machine et al. During the "clean-up for company" I've misplaced several projects and fabrics. Yes, I know I shouldn't have everything strewn all over the place but at least I know where things are. Good job at getting your Neighborhood quilted up! I know that's been a work in progress for you, especially since now you've got limited space. Have a great Thursday!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Your wee garden is looking fabulous. Like your sewing nook. I start getting to a point, then I unpack another box, and hit a wall or where do I put this, or I can't find the parts to put this together. Sigh. Then there is the color conundrum for my sitting room. While I am not a fan of the sage/gray/green, when you look at the paint, they put sparkles in it so it is kind of fanciful. Maybe I will decide once the slider is replaced.

Angela said...

Your planter box looks great!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I'm glad that you have a sewing nook! Kudos for finishing the quilting on your Rainbow Neighborhood! You've had a great week!

PaintedThread said...

Pretty marigolds! I've been finding volunteer zinnias. Can't wait for them to start flowering. Yay for finishing quilting the neighborhood.

piecefulwendy said...

I'm glad you've come up with a workable temporary space while your son gets acclimated to his new job and soon finds his own place. That little spot looks like a happy space to stitch!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

I have always wanted to try my hand at growing Jack Be Little Pumpkins. I hope you will keep us updated on their progress . Sounds like you have been having a good harvest. Your stitching space looks so cozy. I just love it.