Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, July 21, 2023

ABC Table Scraps for July

Now that it's getting toward the end of July, I thought I would share my Table Scraps project for the month today.  You can see more about this fun challenge over at the Joyful Quilter's blog, right here.  Joy has added the additional challenge of incorporating a couple letters of the alphabet into our project - for July: A and G.

Since the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color for July is red, I AGain (see what I did there?!) dug into my orphan block pile, and pulled out this one, left over from the 2020 Color Challenge.  


I decided to make another placemat out of this one, and to enlarge it to 12 x 16, I added a piece of the strawberry print I originally bought for this little project earlier in the year.  Other placemats I've made this year have had a strip added to each side of the main block - this time I added a larger strip to only one side to offset the center block.

Thinking back, I was working on this around the 4th of July,
and must have been in flag mode!  

Some more strawberries for the backing and the red gingham check print for binding made this one a quick finish!


Of course, this put me in the mood for some strawberries!

This summery, strawberry placemat has been a fun one to use!

Sharing at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and at 
ABC Table Scraps July Link-up at The Joyful Quilter

















20 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Sweet placemat, those strawberries look delicious!

Libby in TN said...

Have you seen the 4-in-1 placemats? Someone showed one at guild yesterday and I found it very intriguing.

Linda said...

What a pretty placemat! I love the offset strip, and the print is so cute. That binding is perfect.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love that bowl of fresh strawberries sitting on the mat.

Cathy said...

That is a delightful and fresh-looking placemat. The gingham binding is absolute perfection. When should I be over to share those luscious berries? xo

Gwyned Trefethen said...

The perfect tea time placement to pull out during strawberry season.

Sara said...

So cute! I just never think about making placemats, but it's a clever small project.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Digging into your orphan block bin AGain was a stretch, Diann. I'll give you an A for effort and you've got Green leaves on that RED strawberry fabric! Thanks for playing along with the ABC (Table) SCRAPS Challenge. :o))

Ivani said...

It turned lovely Diann. The fresh straberry bowl matches perfectly to the placemat. You made me smile... AGain. Very Smart! LOL

grammajudyb said...

Cute, cute! I love that strawberry print! I’m thinking of strawberry shortcake now!Yum!

Jenny said...

Strawberry time, yummy!

chrisknits said...

Adorable placemat and now I am craving strawberries and banana bread!!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Oh I love this darling placemat, Diann.Love the strawberry fabric. Beautiful job.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Such a lovely finish, Diann! That little strip of strawberries is the perfect accent!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Lovely finish! The colors are perfect, it says summer. And good for you using more orphan blocks!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh how sweet!! and it is perfect for those strawberries!!!

Jeanna said...

Super cute strawberry placemat. You really got creative with this one.

Bonnie said...

That placemat is darling. Love the mix of fabrics and the gingham check binding just sets it off so well. Great Job!

Deb A said...

Great use of an orphan block and I just love anything with gingham! I wonder what you will pull for the month of August!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Diann, that placemat is very sweet!