Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, July 5, 2023

I Like Thursday #343

 How was your 4th of July?  Hope you enjoyed it, however you spent it.  Ours was stormy!  The weather folks were predicting *massive* storms, and Mike and I were joking about them not materializing... until they did!  (About 5:30)  We had another round later in the evening, and overnight about 2:30 in the morning Wednesday.  We are soaked!

Flooding?!

We did have a nice afternoon for taking Mom for ice cream, though.   I think she enjoyed it!  We both had Butterfinger ice cream - yum!


My little garden is happy!

On the left are miniature pumpkins, and the right vine is cucumbers.  Both have blossoms and babies on them.    In the back are the green beans which are just blossoming now.  My tomatoes are in pots elsewhere, but they're setting fruit, too.

I've been enjoying the latest book in the Leaphorn, Chee, and Manuelito series by Anne Hillerman.  Anne Hillerman continued her father, Tony's, best-selling series that he wrote from 1970 - 2006.  I'm pretty sure I've read them all.  

Unfortunately, as I was planning and writing this post this morning (Wednesday), we got the news that my husband's sister, Sandie, passed away.  She was just 18 months younger than Mike - only 71 - so they were pretty close.  She will be missed so much.  Hug your loved ones for me - sometimes life seems too short.

I love this picture of my sister-in-law- 
she was in her happy place, her son's boat!  💖

Sharing at I Like Thursday at Not Afraid of Color.










18 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

I’m so sorry to hear about your sister in law. My condolences u tu o you and your husband.

LA Paylor said...

oh no... such shocking news.... I'm sorry

gosh your gardens do better than mine, mini pumpkins and cukes... love that
lots of boggy water soaked ground here too, rain again last night. Didn't stop more fireworks from neighbors tho, either night's rain

love hillerman books
LeeAnna

Linda said...

I'm so sorry about Mike's sister. Had she been ill? She was young! Your garden looks beautiful. I'm looking forward to seeing your mini pumpkins. I have read Anne Hillerman and did not know she had a new one out - I'll have to get it.

MissPat said...

My condolences to you and Mike. Treasure the memories. I second your advice to hug your loved when and while you can.
Pat

Vicki in MN said...

So sorry for the loss of Mike's sister, she was too young indeed. So nice that you could take your mom 'out' for ice cream, I bet she loved just getting out of her place for a while. Your garden is looking good.

grammajudyb said...

Oh I’m so sorry for the loss of Mike’s sister. Too young! Thank for sharing your. Cute little garden . My tomatoes are lookup kind of sad this year. My gardening mojo and my reading mojo are gone! I’m obviously not enjoying my current read and should just put it away and start something else.
Your mom looks happy and enjoying her ice cream. Butterfinger? That must have been yummy!

Jeanna said...

So very sorry for your loss. Sending up prayers of comfort for you, Mike and all of Sandie's family and friends. Love the photo of you and your Mom. She is adorable in her patriotic shirt. Butterfingers used to be my favorite when I was a kid. Butterfinger ice cream sounds divine.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sorry about Mike's sister - too young to go! glad you were able to get your mother out for awhile she looks like she is doing well.

Kate said...

So sorry to hear about Your Guy's sister. Hopefully they've had a good visit in the not too distant past. We got your 4th of July storms yesterday. It looked really ominous, but turned out not to be so bad. We really need the rain.

Angela said...

So sorry for your loss. Sending hugs. You and your Mom look so cute together in that photo!

Mari said...

I'm so sorry about your sister in law. Siblings have a special bond, and there's really nothing like it. Big hugs and I hope the services are lovely.

Cathy said...

Just wanted to send condolences to you and Mike on Sandie’s passing. I’m sure it’s tough to lose a life-long sibling and friend. ((hugs))

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

So sorry to hear of Sandie's passing. The picture of her in her happy place is a great one. What a great memory to have of her. I don't know about the Hillerman book series. . .I will need to do check it out!
With a wet fourth, at least you don't have the worry that errant fireworks will light a fire. Looked like that was a big storm though!

Laura said...

I am very sorry for your loss! Hugs!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

So sorry to hear about a dear SIL, yes 71 which is my age, is much too young.
Did so love seeing you and your Mom- that photo is a keeper.

Allison said...

So sorry for the sad news of your S-I-L. I hope when the family gather to remember her and say goodbye there will be lots of good memories shared.

Libby in TN said...

Two lovelies enjoying ice cream -- looking good! Sorry to hear about Mike's sister.

piecefulwendy said...

I'm sorry to hear about Mike's sister, Diann. It's never easy to lose a loved one, but those unexpected ones are hard for sure! Fun to see the pic with you and your mom!