Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, July 28, 2023

Scrappy July

It's hard to believe that this is the last Saturday of July already!  The month has flown by, and when I was thinking about it earlier this week, I realized that I actually got quite a bit accomplished.

Scrappy blocks:

Zipper blocks, split 9 patches, hand-pieced bowties,  a strawberry themed placemat, 
and even a little cross-stitched red pickup truck!

Rainbow Neighbourhood is quilted, the binding is machine stitched to the front, and I'm ready to hand-stitch it down for a finish.

Hoping for a finish to share by the end of the week!

And just because I wasn't quite done with red, I pulled out the little teapot design by Kathy Schmitz that I stitched up back in June and decided to add some patchwork borders and a little quilting to finish it up. 

The fabric that looks pink is actually a red pin dot on a cream background.
Much more fun in person than in the photo!

It's not really hot tea time of year around here right now, so I'm more likely to be sipping on some iced tea while I finish up the quilting this weekend.

I think there will be plenty of stitching to work on this weekend!

Linking up to my favorite weekend parties:








26 comments:

Cathy said...

Oh my! Your little teapot piece is so adorable. You had a prolific red July!

Libby in TN said...

You have been very productive! Keep cool!

Susie H said...

Looks like you had a red-hot July! Great job on all your blocks plus a little cross-stitch and embroidery!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Love your teapot embroidery! Such great projects!

Linda said...

You really have been productive. Especially when you maybe were thinking you might not be able to get as much done, right? My excitement is building for the Rainbow Neighbourhood reveal. :)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

all of what you show looks great. and nice to get to the binding on the Rainbow Neighborhood isn't it.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

So many different red projects, Diann!!! Awesome!!!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

What a wonderful red month!!

piecefulwendy said...

July is another month that has flown by, but I have little to show for it, at least quilt-wise! Your blocks look great, and that teapot is so cute!

Sara said...

Cute, cute, cute! I love the teapot.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Sweet finish on your teapot mat. Lots of varied red blocks on that scrappy block collage.

Deb A said...

Great job with red this month and what a sweet teapot that is! Enjoy your hand stitching this weekend.

Jenny said...

Such a very pretty teapot block.

grammajudyb said...

You really did have a lovely RED July! So many pretty blocks and a Rainbow Neighbourhood finish! Congratulations!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Your teapot is adorable. I love how you finished it off. I agree that it’s good weather for iced tea. I only drink hot tea when it is cold outside.

Sarah said...

Goodness you have been busy. Your little red tea pot looks lovely on your table too!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What a sweet finish for that adorable tea pot! True, it is not hot tea drinking weather! Enjoy your iced tea as you hand stitch that binding. What a "red" month you had!

Quilter Kathy said...

You had a very productive July! I love the little red teapot! Enjoy your binding!

Ivani said...

You had a great red month, Diann!
Love the red teapot embroidery and how you finished it.
Happy Internation Embroidery Day!

Deb said...

Oh that little teapot embroidery is so pretty and this post just reminded me I have a Kathy Schmidts teacup to stitch up.

Karrin Hurd said...

Lots of great projects, love the teapot!

Jeanna said...

You had a very productive July. I love your teapot embroidery and I look forward to seeing the Rainbow Neighbourhood quilt finish.

Vicki in MN said...

The little teapot turned out so cute!

CathieJ said...

I love how you have finished that pretty embroidered teapot. You have made a lot of pretty projects.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Sew much cuteness, Diann. After seeing yours and Cathy's Zip blocks I had to start some of my own. They are so fast and fun. Thank you for the inspiration. Hugs.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

You really did get a lot done!! and all that fun red!!!
I am impressed