Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, June 30, 2023

This and that...

My scrappy sewing has taken me all over the place this week!  

Into the trees, with leaf blocks for the Positivity QAL, from Preeti's design.  See more about that here

Just a few of these so far, but I'm trying to make at least one a day.

And back to Cape Cod with another block for the Scrap Dance Quadrille project, a mystery QAL at From My Carolina Home.  I've made two block As and one block B.  Now I need another block B, so I'm cutting, sewing, and trimming more HSTs!

And then, into a project box to get caught up on the Split 9-Patch blocks for June.  In our earlier blue month, I had made two dark blue blocks and two brighter ones.  This week I made two in light blues.


Since I had all these going, I decided to make two more red blocks, too.  I had made the first two earlier just to try these blocks and see if I wanted to continue with them.


Apparently I do want to continue with these because now there are 26!

I'm figuring that I need at least four more, for a total of 30 blocks to make a child's comfort quilt.  I think I'll make them in yellow month.

Sharing at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and at 





23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thé split nine patch blocks are so much fun. They will make a great child’s quilt. The mystery project colours are pretty. Take care. Gail at the Cozy quilter.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

All your projects are moving along nicely!

Gretchen Weaver said...

The split 9 patch blocks look so nice, they remind me of lilies! Happy stitching!

Vicki in MN said...

I forgot you were doing the split 9 patch blocks, they are looking so good together.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Looks like a busy week in the sewing room, Diann. LOVE those Split 9's!!

Deb A said...

Love the split nines and the addition of yellow will be perfect.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

a lot of interesting blocks there - I like the colors on the second one you show

Linda said...

Nice "this and that" projects! I really like your Scrap Dance colors. The split nine patches are going to make a pretty quilt.

Quilter Kathy said...

It's funny how we start these RSC projects not knowing if we'll like it or not! I love the split nine patch block collection! And then we sew blocks until we're tired of them, and/or another squirrel comes along! LOL

grammajudyb said...

Sometimes “this and that” is necessary. There is progress! I only got binding done this week and my zig zag’s measured ( with Mr Busy’s help) so I can get those borders on. Oh and an appointment made with the long armer! So “this and that” here too!😀

Nann said...

I really like the split 9's. Gotta take another look at Preeti's pattern.

Mari said...

Love the leaf blocks! They really do look good in all colors. And I love the split nine patches, too. Yellow will finish it off nicely. Happy 4th!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I love the contrast in your leaf blocks. I have made a few; but not nearly enough . . .yet for Preeti's Sew Along!
Those split nine blocks are awesome. I love the rainbow effect.

Katie Z. said...

So many lovely blocks!

Jenny said...

Different blocks everywhere! The split nine patches are growing well. We have been away in the caravan all week so nothing to show here.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Gosh you have been so busy, Diann.I love where your Split Nine Patch is going. I was studying the block and was thinking---it reminds me of a butterfly. Have a great holiday weekend.

MissPat said...

I made split 9 patches last year and should pull them out to see what colors I'm missing. I never did get off the groound with RSC this year. I was away so often from February through May and then the garden work took over. I'm behind on that, too.
Pat

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Great progress on all your projects. Pretty soon you are going to have some big numbers out for Stashbusters!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Such nice colorful split nine patch blocks! I laughed to see the penguins in some of the squares, so cute. The diamond type block in your mystery quilt (Block A?) is calling my name. Have a great week!

maggie fellow said...

I like that pattern and your scraps look so nice

Susie H said...

Looks like you've got a lot going on but it seems to be all under control. I think YELLOW will definitely round those Split 9s out perfectly!

Jeanna said...

Those are all very nice looking blocks. I struggle with scrappy but I better get good at it. I have discovered a TON of scraps while unpacking. Ugh! Thank you for sharing the links, I'll check them out.

Bonnie said...

All your blocks look good but those split nine patches are calling my name. They are gorgeous. (I am going to ignore them for as long as I can. Maybe I'll use that block next year for the RSC. Have a great week.