Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, June 23, 2023

Almost there!

I have stayed focused on my goal of getting the Rainbow Neighbourhood quilt top sewn together this week, and I am almost there!

I am liking the dark blue frames around each block,
combined with the sky blue cornerstones!

The pattern is written with a final 2.5 inch contrasting outer border, and I have been thinking and thinking about that.  I could finish the quilt as is, above.  I could choose a contrasting border, maybe the same light blue as the cornerstones?  I would need to shop for that.  Or, I could use the same dark blue as the sashing strips which I have plenty of.

That's actually what I decided to do, and have the two side borders sewn on,
and like it!  I'll update this post with a new photo 
when the top and bottom borders are on.

And Saturday afternoon - here it is with outer borders on!  Yay!

Sharing this at mmmquilts for the Rainbow Neighbourhood QAL link-up!


My only frustration with the quilt top at this point is that the dark blue with stars really wants to fray!  I need to hurry up and get the layers basted and quilting going, so I can get all the raw edges enclosed!

Ending with a favorite house - the green one - since, otherwise, I haven't sewn with any green this week at all.

That sky fabric is a favorite, too - I had enough of that to use it in two blocks.

Linking up with SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and 









23 comments:

Susie H said...

You made great progress on your houses, Diann. That navy blue fabric is gorgeous, love the little bits of light blue pop. I saw on the news CO has had some bad weather this week. Hope all is OK on your homefront. Have a great weekend.

Michele McLaughlin said...

The dark blue border was the right choice! I love this piece! It's such a happy neighborhood! Cloud fabric is PERFECT!

Linda said...

Oh that border is looking great. And you nailed it on the cloud fabric. You really have a beautiful creation going on Diann!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your neighborhood is looking great!!

Helenchaffin said...

the blues around the houses sets them off beautifully ,it's going to be gorgeous!

PaintedThread said...

I like the setting. I hope the fraying doesn't get worse! This will look great when it's done.

Mari said...

It's looking good! The dark blue was a good choice. The only trouble I've had with fraying is on Kona solids. How unusual to have that problem with a print.

Sara said...

That dark blue is the perfect outer border. Now the cornerstones will float. Great choice!

chrisknits said...

A wonderful neighborhood you have! I like your idea on the borders, they houses don't need a foil, they are the main attraction.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Your rainbow neighborhood looks great!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Great choice with the final border. It focuses the eye on the star of the show - those happy, welcoming homes.

grammajudyb said...

I dislike fraying fabric! And you are right, the longer it’s around the worse it gets. I like your choice of the dark blue.

JanineMarie said...

More and more, I’m liking dark navy as a color to set off quilt blocks. It makes them sparkle. Good luck getting that fraying fabric enclosed. A great incentive to finishing a quilt even though it’s a bit of a pain.

maggie fellow said...

lovely additions

Jenny said...

Gorgeous houses. I think using the dark blue for borders is just right!

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

Great job on your house quilt, Diann! I hope to have mine together by the end of the week!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such a gorgeous blue fabric that you used for the sashings and borders. Well done, Diann. Your neighborhood is quite delightful. Happy Saturday

Vicki in MN said...

Nice progress Diann!

The Joyful Quilter said...

That central square is SEW perfect for your Rainbow Neighborhood quilt, Diann!! Best of luck with the finishing.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Sometimes quilts just choose their borders. The blue is perfect! Good job keeping up with the quilt along, I tend to fall down before the end.

Quilter Kathy said...

A gorgeous neighbourhood quilt! I like the blue border on the outside. It's so strange how some fabrics love to fray, and others don't fray at all?

Susan Smith said...

Lovely & hope the quilting goes well.

Sandra Walker said...

Well, I just love the same blue used as the outer border Diann! It makes the lighter blue cornerstones just pop. I've had some fabrics like that - most annoying. Kona is especially bad, but a friend said to starch it before cutting and it's much better. That's a lot of extra work though, and I don't prewash because I like the sizing that is in the fabric. Thank you so much for quilting along for yet another year! I so appreciate it. It is a pretty versatile pattern for personalizing, but I am blown away by the extra level of creativity in each of the quilts! I think your green house is my favourite too, though I love the block you made for the red house, and the adaptation of the flowers filler block on your pink house. Just making sure I've visited everyone and am about to draw for the final prizes!