Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, June 16, 2023

Table Scraps for June

I decided to change things up this month and share my Table Scraps projects earlier in the month.  Plus, it was a good week to work on something small!  Check over here at The Joyful Quilter for more details about this fun challenge!

For June, our letters of the alphabet were D and I, and colors that coordinate with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge are light greens and blues.  No greens in this project, but I've got the blues covered!

Sticking with my plan of using up orphan blocks this year, I pulled two blocks - another one from the 2020 Color Challenge and a Kathy Schmitz embroidery design that I stitched in 2021.


I didn't take any in progress photos, but you can probably tell what I did.  I took apart the nine patches to use as borders for the embroidery, and cut HSTs out of one of the snowball block for the corners.  Here's how it turned out!

Some simple hand quilting and light blue binding finished this off quickly.

The dark blues in this block and the letter I made me think of Indigo - the color and the plant it comes from.  It was an important crop in Colonial America that I taught about in 5th grade.  I also read a fascinating book about it, The Indigo Girl, by Natasha Boyd.  Highly recommend!

The backing is a scrap of Sprinkles, the wide-backing from Connecting Threads that I've been using a lot this year.


This little project hit all buttons for me: scrappy, both dark and light blues, and some slow stitching, too!

Done! and ready to link up at the June Table Scraps Challenge 
at the Joyful Quilter.



Sharing at all my favorite weekend link-ups:
Soscrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday 
Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching 








21 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

I like that you took apart your orphan blocks to reuse for this cute mini and in the process used up a cute embroidery:)

Libby in TN said...

Nice stretch with the "I" prompt. I've never thought about taking apart an orphan block! Love what you did with it.

Anonymous said...

Very nice finish, Diane! Gail at the Cozy Quilter.

Linda said...

How very pretty, and what a clever thing to do Diann! You surprised me - I assumed you would make some kind of placemat using both blocks. I love how it turned out, and it looks great next to your chair!

Chantal said...

Genius! Your repurposing of the orphan block is just genius! I'm in love!! It is so cute! Awesome job, Diann. ;^)

grammajudyb said...

You did check all the boxes! You “D”ismantled the blues “I”ndigos. And “d”esigned a new project! Great job!

The Joyful Quilter said...

That is SEW darling, Diann!! I'm impressed that you came up with a way to reuse that block without actually incorporating the block into your project. Way to tick the boxes for the ABC (Table) SCRAPS Challenge letter prompts, too!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What a great use of orphans!!! I LOVED the Indigo Girl. . .such an interesting book and such an enterprising woman!

Kate said...

A very creative way to use up an orphan block. It's a very cute little table topper.

Jenny said...

I love this little creation!

Susie H said...

Wonderful! Darling comes to mind also for the D. I love how this finished up. The embroidery is very sweet too. I think Ingenious also works for this piece bc you finished this up so smartly!

Gretchen Weaver said...

The little table topper is so cute! What a great way to use 2 orphan blocks!

Kim said...

Such a beautiful mini table topper in a vision of blues! The blue bird fabric is pretty and your 'Bless Our Home' embroidery is gorgeous.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Terrific table topper! I love seeing projects made from orphan blocks and leftovers. Yours is Delightful and Inventive!

Angela said...

That looks great! I love being able to put things together like that!

PaintedThread said...

Very cute. What a nice finish!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

How adorable, Diann and a great way to reuse orphan blocks. Woo Hoo! on the finish!!!

Deb A said...

Beautiful job! Great use of that orphan block and what a pretty little quilt you have.

Sara said...

A terrific use of an orphan block. Turned out very cute!

Quilter Kathy said...

Very inspiring way to use an orphan block - terrific finish!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Diann, that's a really lovely project from your orphan blocks!