Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, April 26, 2023

I Like Thursday #333

Bonjours!  Comment vas-tu?  Can you tell I speak a little French?  I studied it from 2nd grade through college - many years ago now!  But I still remember a little bit of it.  "Voila la Cote D'Azur!"   That's from the old school language labs we used to do - did you have those in your high school?

Way back in 1971, I was even an exchange student to France for a summer.  I visited Rennes, France, and lived with a French family.  Although I was pretty homesick that summer, I still remember it as quite an experience.


One fabulous part of the summer was visiting Mont Saint-Michel.

It's a pretty amazing place!
More info about it at this link.

Back here at home, we enjoyed this mini series this week, "Secrets of the Elephants."  We found it on the National Geographic channel through our Hulu subscription, but I think it's also on Disney+.


Walking down to visit my mom at the Rehab Center (yes, she's still there.  We thought she would be going home about two weeks ago, but then she went downhill again.  It's been a tough time for her) takes me through the local sculpture park.  Look what I saw the other day - all these happy daffodils!


And in the sewing room, I'm getting started on house #4 for the Rainbow Neighbourhood QAL, and it's going to have a blue theme.  I made a Friendship Star for the house in blue to celebrate my book club going out for dinner together and then attending the author talk for our Loveland Loves to Read book of the year, Remarkably Bright Creatures, by Shelby Van Pelt.  It was a delightful evening!



Hope you're having a great week!  Be sure to check out all the I Like Thursday posts at Not Afraid of Color.









16 comments:

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Beautiful post, I love the statue and the daffodils, and I hope your mom enjoy the view and will be better soon. Great souvenirs from France, je n'ai pas pu m'empêcher de poster un commentaire en voyant le Mont Saint Michel et la carte ! Bravo pour ton français ;) Bonne journée, bises

Anonymous said...

I lead a book club at our church and we are going to discuss that book this fall. Great block for your next house. Sorry to hear your mom had a setback. Hope she’s doing better and can get home soon. Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Libby in TN said...

I had a beautiful poster of Mont Saint-Michel in college and dreamed of visiting it one day. Which we did on a cruise several years ago. The hike up to the top was exhausting, but well worth it!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I have loved visiting France. Mont Saint Michel is a beautiful place. Can you imagine the millions of feet that have walked through it over the centuries? I'm on the list for reading Remarkable Bright Creatures. . .I might get it from the library in about two more months!

Kate said...

That's a lot of French lessons! One of Grad Girl's friends was a transfer student to France when she was a junior. It's a wonderful experience. I hope your mother is doing much better and is on track to get back to her normal routine soon.

Juliana said...

So sorry your mom has had a setback, but hopefully she will make steady progress and soon be able to go back to her normal life. I'm glad your visit to her took you through this park--beautiful flowers and thought-changing art.

grammajudyb said...

Fun to learn these new facts about you! We’ve only traveled to Mexico and Canada. Wish we had done more! Love your polka dot friendship Star. I’m doing that block this week too! My house will be in the orange/peach/ rust part of the rainbow! I’m off to stitch with my Thursday Stitchers. I always enjoy that! Au revoir!

LA Paylor said...

bien sur!
you had many more years of French than I did, congrats!
loved your post!
LeeAnna

PaintedThread said...

Mont Saint-Michel looks like an amazing place. And the tide comes in faster than a galloping horse? Healing thoughts for your mom.

Angela said...

We have daffodils blooming as well. They are so cheerful and welcome!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

How fabulous to have that experience as an exchange student! Love those daffodils! Our daffodils are in their full happiness mode here now--they rebounded after the last snow! Your rainbow neighborhood is looking great, Diann!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such an amazing experience to have been able to travel and study abroad. I am sure you have many fond memories as well. Wishing your dear mother a speedy recovery. I am sure each visit lifts her spirits. Looking forward to seeing your new house block. It is going to look amazing.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Be still, my heart!! Mont St. Michel was one of my favorite sites in France, Diann. Thanks for sending me back to 1985 and my gig as a quasi-chaperone for the H.S. French Club! It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience and the perfect opportunity to skip graduation for my Associates Degree (I still remember sitting in the Dean's office to get the necessary approval.)

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What a wonderful experience for you Diann. So beautiful in France!
Thinking of your Mom and sincerely hoping this part of her journey will be over soon.
Love your dotty blue fabric.

piecefulwendy said...

Sorry to hear that your mom is still in rehab. I'm sure it's as frustrating for her as it is for you! I don't know French, but I love the sound of it. I might know a little pig latin - and a tiny bit of actual latin. Haha!

Linda said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Mom and hope things improve for her soon. That is a long time to study French, sounds like you are an expert, and what an interesting time for you as an exchange student. I bet your parents missed you too! Thank you for the link to Mont-Saint-Michel - what a fascinating place.