Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, April 12, 2023

I Like Thursday #331

Are you an early bird or a night owl?  That is LeeAnna's question of the week.  Can you guess which one I am?

Tuesday morning just before sunrise - look, no snow!

I have always been a morning person, even when I was a college student.  Some of my roommates would stay up all night to get their work done, but I had to go to bed.  Then I would get up at 4 am to study.  And, of course, years of getting up at 5 am to get ready for the school day as a teacher have kept my body clock that way.   Nowadays I don't usually have to go anywhere too early, but I'm up anyway, enjoying my coffee with the newspaper and blog reading!

We've had lovely weather here the last few days.  We did a bunch of yard cleanup and got our deck ready for the summer.  I got out my flip-flops and we had wine on the deck!


Things are greening up and the little grape hyacinths in my flower garden are popping up all over the place.  It's so fun to have some color there!


We watched a sweet little movie on Prime the other night, "Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris."  We watch a lot of murder mystery type shows, and this was a nice alternative to that.  Plus the clothing and scenery was a lot of fun!


A squirrel got me the other day, and I just *had to* try another cross-stitch design from Melisa at PinkernPunkin Quilting.   She's got a Spring stitch-along going on, and I wasn't quite ready to take on the whole project, but I thought one section would be fun.  This one is called Bluebird and Bees.  When I saw the birds in this project, I decided I really wanted to stitch one of the little designs. 

Can you tell I'm trying to use up a "scrap" of Aida cloth?!

Hope you're having a great week!  Be sure to check out all the I Like Thursday posts at Not Afraid of Color.














20 comments:

Kat said...

The little bird is adorable!

Anonymous said...

I’m an early riser too. I’m usually fading around 10pm…
Cute little bird cross stitch! Warm and sunny here . I had my sandals on yesterday too. Gail at the Cozy Quilter

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I too am an early riser. Growing up on the farm and needing to feed animals or irrigate crops enabled me to see a lot of sunrises over the years. A few times a month, I need to be at work at 6:30am so I still get up early. Most days, I wake up before the alarm clock. On days I'm not at work, I do enjoy a cuppa while I look to see if it is clear enough to watch the sunrise over the mountain. Melissa has the cutest cross stitch designs. Your project is going to be amazing!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it is always amazing how especially in the north it seems to go to spring in a matter of days even though you know there will be a chilly day here or there it seems to be instant.
I get up by 7-7:30 and usually sleeping by 11pm - I am very lazy in the morning though and rarely get going until after 10 am. I'm really neither a night owl or a morning person!

piecefulwendy said...

Isn't it lovely to wear flip flops once again? You have a pretty view for those early mornings. That little cross stitch project is a cute one!

grammajudyb said...

Yay! For warm weather and wine on the deck! I have been reluctant to get out the deck furniture just yet! We could have more snow and there is a ton of cleanup to do out there..I’ll do it in small increments. Love your little cross stitch. I finished the first stamp of the bird on the watering can. Well , the bird still need an eye and the butterfly needs antennae, but I’ll do those when I get that color floss on a needle! 😄

Have a great weekend.

LA Paylor said...

your porch sitting looks peaceful! I've got to look for that show, I tend to forget to look on prime! Love tiny hyacinths in spring. It wasn't that pleasant here, near 90 is a shock to the system in April, but we did sit out once after DH's work was done that day. Started thinking about lemoncello

Angela said...

I have that movie on my list and must get to it.

Nann said...

I'm a lark, too! Glad you enjoyed the movie.

Deb A said...

Sounds like a nice time on the porch! I think I'm more of a night person, but once I am awake, I am up and moving! Grape hyacinths are always so pretty in spring. I keep seeing that movie and was wondering how it was. Maybe I'll hit play next time I see it.
Have a good evening.

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Yay for warmer weather and flip-flop season.
I saw that film a few weeks ago and loved it very much.

chrisknits said...

How cute is that X-stitch! Just the perfect little to enjoy some stitching time.

PaintedThread said...

Yay for nice weather. I like your new cross stitch.

Angie said...

Diann - the sun makes me think it is warm enough for wine on the porch, but it is deceiving, especially when the wind comes blowing by! A few more weeks, I think!!! Thanks for visiting my blog today!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Woo Hoo! I am so glad to hear that the snow is gone and you have been able to enjoy some time warmer days outdoors. The flowers are so pretty. I am so honored that you are stitching Bluebird and Bees, Diann. It is looking fabulous. You will have it completed in no time. Thank you so much. Have a great weekend and happy stitching.

Kate said...

In college I was both a late nighter and early morning person. I worked almost full time, so I worked late, then got up early to finish homework. I don't miss those days. The weather has been pretty here too, but we are back to cooler days for the weekend. Oh well, it is spring. Hope your warmer days hold on for a bit.

Linda said...

Hello fellow morning person! Flip-flops and wine - my kind of day! Your cross stitch with the little "scrap" of Aida is looking very cute.

Bernie Kringel said...

Oh how I love mornings. Best time of day.
Thanks for the heads up on the Mrs Harris movie. I was thinking of watching it and now I will!!
Enjoy the day Diann.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Definitely spring at your place! Flip flops, wow. Love the little cross stitched bird. Yes I can echo your sentiments about the many decades of teaching ingraining things like early mornings...I still wake at 6:15 in anticipation of the 6:30 alarm and also get a kick out of Fridays still!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

That looks like a fun movie!!! Just watched the preview. Cute cross-stitch!! Yes, Melisa makes some of the cutest patterns!!!