Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, April 19, 2023

I Like Thursday #332

Needing a getaway day last week, Mike and I drove up to Estes Park.  It was a beautiful day up there, and we did all our favorite things.  Picnic lunch at the winery, a hike around the lake, and a cookie for dessert!

Such views!

It always smells so good up in the mountains - fresh and piney.  One of my favorite aromas.

Overhead several ospreys were circling.  Mike got a great photo of one of them.



This isn't a great photo, but I had to share it - this is where we go for a cookie.  "Laura's - Spoiling dinner since 1970!"  Loved that!


We came home to another favorite aroma - dinner in the crockpot!


This was a pork tenderloin which I shredded up and we turned into a bowl meal.  Rice, black beans, shredded pork, and all the trimmings: cheese, green onion, tomato, avocado.  You get the idea!

Yum!

In the sewing room this week, I decided I wanted to make a tulip block for the next Rainbow Neighbourhood QAL house.  After hunting around on the internet for different designs, I realized that Sandra has included blocks that look like tulips for the twin size version of the quilt, so I made a set of them.  It turns out that the finished size block for the quilt (6 x 8 inches) is not quite right for the size I want in the house block.  So I reduced everything by a half inch and ended up with a block I think will work (4.5 x 6).

I think the green and blue prints will 
find their way into this next house, too.
I'll use the bigger tulips in a new mug rug for my mom.

Hope you're having a great week!  Be sure to check out all the I Like Thursday posts at Not Afraid of Color.














16 comments:

Michele McLaughlin said...

Thanks for taking us along on your Saturday outing! Love the name of that bakery! :D Your tulips blocks look great! Have a great weekend!

Libby in TN said...

What a great day. And topped off with a cookie, too! I look forward to seeing your next rainbow house.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I miss Estes Park haven't been there in a long time and last time the tourist were out in full force and it was kind of crowded. - it is such a pretty place though it will always remain a favorite place of mine

Angela said...

Yes, I agree. The crock pot smells like someone was there cooking for me all day! I wish!

PaintedThread said...

Looks like a nice trip! I like the look of Laura's - that's a pretty convincing tag line. Dinner looks delicious.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I loved Laura's tag line! What a great trip! Looking forward to the next house block.

grammajudyb said...

What a fun day trip you had! We haven’t been there in a really long time. It may be time for another visit! I love your tulip block idea! I’m anxious to see it in the house block. I love bowl meals. Mr Busy is not a fan, but put all that on a warm flour tortilla and he’s all good! Silly guy!

LA Paylor said...

estes park, you guys go often to enjoy the beauty of it. Coming into the house with cooking smells is a good thing too. Love your tulips

Kate said...

Sounds like a great date day with Your Guy. The tulip block is going to make a very pretty house.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I had to click on Mike's osprey photo for a close look and love how the feathers show beautifully in the sun. Quite a nice one. You guys had a great outing.
I agree pine smells are beautiful in the forest and dinner cooking too. Of course, I love the tulip blocks and I like the colour you've chosen. This will be another beautiful house, Diann.

chrisknits said...

Wonderful way to incorporate a block into your house.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Diann, sounds like a super fun outing! We drove through Estes Park one summer, but the traffic was terrible--I suppose we were part of the problem! It was a super cute town! Great osprey photo! Cute tulips blocks!!!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Sounds like a fabulous outing, Diann enjoying nature's beauty. And supper looks so yummy. The tulip block is looking fabulous. I hope your mom is doing well; a new mug rug will be a wonderful gift
. Have a very lovely weekend.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

The crock pot is the best invention! I love putting food in there and smelling it all day until it's time for dinner! And it gives you more time to sew! I love the tulip blocks. I'm sure you'll make them work!

piecefulwendy said...

Our visit to Estes Park a few years ago is still one of my favorite memories. We took a hike that turned out to be a little more work than we thought, but it was worth it for the views at the end. I like the way your day played out - a perfect day for a little break. I'm enjoying watching your progress with the Rainbow houses! The bowl meal looks tasty, too - I love making those, they are so easy!

Linda said...

What a beautiful area to visit! Your day sounds like so much fun. Wow your shredded pork bowl looks delicious.