Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, April 5, 2023

I Like Thursday #330

 


I have lots of good Easter memories from over the years, although they don't include Peeps - not a fan of them!  Dying eggs, filling the plastic ones with candy, Easter egg hunts as a kid and with our own kids, a new dress to wear to church on Easter (usually matching ones with my sister that my mom sewed!), big family meals, probably similar to many of you.


  

This year our Easter will be quiet with just Mike and I, phone calls with our kids, and a visit with Mom over at her rehab place.  The Easter bunnies did bring us a few treats already!  We'll share these with Mom on Sunday.



Meanwhile, this week, I've enjoyed stitching on these little strawberry designs, so generously shared by Melisa at PinkernPunkin Quilting.

Just one more to do, and then I need to figure out some sashing and borders to make a small wall-hanging.  I have lots of red scraps in my stash, but it would be fun to find a novelty print with strawberries on it.  Maybe I'll check my LQS for some.  Or Joann's?

While doing my evening slow stitching this week, we've been catching up on a show that we ended up liking very much.  "Alaska Daily" was originally shown on ABC, but we ended up streaming it on our Hulu service.  It's about a newspaper in Anchorage Alaska and their coverage of missing and murdered indigenous women in Alaska.  Interesting to me because both of our sons are journalists - although I don't think either of them have experienced quite the drama that is shown on the TV show!


Last week I made a loaf of Blueberry Bread because I had enough leftover blueberries in my freezer for the recipe.  

It's a yummy treat with morning coffee!  
It did end up being a little hard to slice in loaf form, and I'm wondering if a quick bread batter could be baked in a small cake pan - 8 or 9 inch square - and then cut into squares instead.  Has anyone tried this?  

Joining in with LeeAnna and friends at Not Afraid of Color for I Like Thursday!









16 comments:

Susie H said...

Nice memories of Easter past. Too bad you can't spend Easter with the boys but Mom will be a nice treat too. I never tried turning a loaf into a square cake pan but why not? I'd give it a go. Then you could also drizzle a little glaze over the top! haha!

Libby in TN said...

Surely you can find some strawberry fabric for your cute handwork. You might have to alter baking time, but it would be worth trying your quick bread in a cake pan.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I used to have some strawberry fabric from the Farmers market line. Unfortunately, I only have a small scrap left so I can’t send it to you! I hope you are able to find something suitable.
Those are cute embroideries!
You mom looks fantastic! I am so happy that she recovered from her surgery!
Happy Easter! I don’t like peeps either!

Linda said...

Have fun picking out some fabric for that pretty embroidery. I'm glad your Mom will have some candy for Easter. :) I don't care for Peeps either, but Hubs loves them. I prefer chocolate any day. I've not made quick bread in a cake pan but it makes sense! We enjoyed Alaska Daily and are hoping it is renewed. It is nice to see a drama done well.

Kate said...

We'll be on our own for Easter too, Grad Girl doesn't have enough time to come home for the holiday. Our plan is do some hiking for the weekend. The blueberry bread looks yummy. Good luck with your search for strawberry prints, there should be some fun ones somewhere. Happy Easter!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I would think quick bread could be baked in a cake pan - I know the texture is the same as some heavy cake batters - like oatmeal cake or applesauce cake.
You have a lot of memories of Easter! That is nothing we made a big deal of that much with our kids - we did the usual egg hunting and filling up Easter baskets etc - but that has been many years ago now and our grandchildren always lived a long distance from us when they were the age to enjoy so we missed out on that with them.

grammajudyb said...

Fun strawberry embroidery. It will make a cute wall hanging. I just know that there is some strawberry print out there that is just perfect! About the blueberry bread: I'd try it! Like Karen says, Apple cake, Oatmeal cake , Pumpkin cake are so similar to quick bread batter in density.

We aren't doing anything special for Easter dinner this year. Our grands and great grands were just here. And they will make their memories at home. The weather is supposed to be much improve from earlier this week.

Have a great weekend and a Blessed Easter!

Vicki in MN said...

We watched Alaska Daily also, really enjoyed it. Quiet Easter here too and that is oaky. Happy Easter!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What nice Easter memories! We also have watched that show. I think it is getting better with each episode. Strawberry fabric would be a fun addition to your embroidery designs. Yes, you can bake the batter in a cake pan instead of a loaf pan. The time will be less. You can check the recipe for a product baked in that size pan and use the time as a reference for your blueberry bread.

Angela said...

Such pretty stitching! It is good to have a project that works up quickly!

Marti said...

Fun Easter memories! Reading your description I remembered the new white shoes that were for church until fall. I love the redwork and strawberry print sounds great with it. I know I've seen some lately but can't remember where. It may have been Hobby Lobby.

PaintedThread said...

Dying eggs was always fun. Blueberry bread looks good - you've reminded me that I have blueberries in the freezer I need to cook with! :-)

Michele McLaughlin said...

Loving your strawberry embroideries! They are adorable! We are having a quiet holiday too (just hubby, mom and me). That blueberry bread looks wonderful!

Bernie Kringel said...

We love Alaska Daily too! It is a great show - the different culture makes is interesting.
Happy Easter Diann. Enjoy your visit with your mom!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Aaah what wonderful memories of Easter past. I loved dressing my girls up for Easter when they were young. Thank you so much for stitching my strawberry doodles, Diann. They look amazing, I can not wait to see what you do with them. The blueberry bread looks so yummy.

piecefulwendy said...

Fun memories of Easter, brings back a few of my own! Glad you are able to spend Easter with your mom - I'm sure she'll enjoy some of those goodies. I haven't seen that show; maybe we need to check out Hulu.