Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, May 24, 2024

This and that...

My quilty week took me in all kinds of different directions, which can be fun or frustrating, depending on what you actually want to accomplish!

The main goal was to finish the medium star blocks for the Luminous Layers QAL, and I did do that!  Last week, when I was wondering what color to name this dark pink that they are made from, Sylvia suggested raspberry, and that fits for me.

I haven't had a chance to lay these out with the other sections of the quilt,
but I'm excited to do that.  And it's time to sew them all together, too. 

Along the way, I got two new blocks made for the Pieces of My Life QAL, and one is even pink!  Since the pink scraps are still out, it was easy to cut what was needed for the bowtie block.

More about this project in my Wednesday post.

Here's where my Hollow 9 patch blocks stand at almost the end of May.  These are hand-pieced, and I've just been making two each month.  I'm almost caught up with the green ones from January - just one more block to sew.


And, inspired by Melisa's sweet little Pat-a-Cake quilt that she shared the other day, I cut some 2 x 3.5 pieces from strips that I had, and started piecing these little bits.  Not sure what they'll turn into, but they make good leaders and enders!


Sharing at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday.
Sew and Tell Monday at Melva Loves Scraps 








17 comments:

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Your scrappy happy Saturday looks busy! Love the contrast of your stars with the minty julep green.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

You have been so busy, Diann. Your LL QAL is looking amazing! Raspberry is a great description of the pink. Your nine patches are gorgeous; I think I may fall down this rabbit hole. Hee! Hee! I am so touched that you made some blocks from the Pat a Cake quilt . Oooh I just love those fabrics too. I can not wait to see your progress on all of these projects. Have a wonderful day. Hugs.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Your raspberry stars are a great focal point for the quilt you are making. I always love seeing your scrappy projects

Vicki in MN said...

Your LL stars are looking great. Isn't it the best when we can wake up and decide what we want to make that day even if it wasn't on the list of to do's!

Kate said...

Looking forward to seeing your Luminous Layers all assembled. You've been keeping up with the hand stitching really well. Happy stitching this weekend and Happy Memorial Day!

Linda said...

Raspberry is the perfect name for that pretty pink. I still love that print you are using in your Pieces project. Impressive piecing on the hollow nines. You've got a great start on the Pat-a-Cake quilt - it's so cute!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the stars all look so good together - it will be a nice size when you are done with it.

Nann said...

Oh, those four star blocks together = wow! Raspberry is, well, delicious.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I'm in love with those four stars block with the smaller star in the center . . .that is a WOW!!!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Your fabric choice for the Luminous Layers QAL are so cheery. Looks like a fun project.

grammajudyb said...

Luminous Layers is so pretty! Great job in your color selection! Now , you know, I’m going to have to check out the Pat-a-cake quilt over at Pinker n Punkin Quilting “ cause I still have scraps!😃

Jenny said...

I'm always impressed that you hand piece some of your blocks.

Astrid said...

I think raspberry fits the pink. The LL QAL looks like a fun project with those pretty star blocks. I admire you hand piecing those small blocks, not sure I'll have the patience. All pretty colorful blocks.

Cathy said...

What a great collection of quilt blocks! Your Luscious Layers is dazzling! Yay for raspberry pink!

Susie H said...

Your Hollow 9s look great and your Luminous Layers? Awesome!!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a nice variety of projects to keep you busy this past week, Diann! Here's hoping you enjoyed your holiday weekend.

Jeanna said...

You made lovely progress on all your quilty projects. I like the 'raspberry' color in your star blocks.