Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Midweek Update

This week's task for the Luminous Layers QAL at mmmquilts probably took me longer to cut and trim than to sew!  I needed eight blue and yellow 8.5 inch HSTs and four 8.5 inch blue squares for that center star.


I'm guessing that this week we'll be digging into that center section which is a little more complicated.  I'll be using more of the blue, yellow, and dark green, along with the lighter green background, and adding in some pops of pink!


One other project I worked on this week was a pin cushion made of a few selvages that I've been collecting.  I thought this would make a fun birthday gift for a friend!  I just sewed the selvage strips in layers with the raw edges on the outside and ironed them to some fusible interfacing before sewing on a backing and filling it with crushed walnut shells. 

This measures about 4 inches square.

Sharing at Quiltfabrication for Midweek Makers.

 




10 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Cute pin cushion! I love making things with my selvages. Your friend will love it. Your star quilt is looking great. Fun to see it grow as you complete each part.

Kate said...

Very cute pin cushion, you have some nice selvages. Your stars are looking good. Looking forward to seeing the center come together.

Vicki in MN said...

Do you save all your selvage's? I have not gotten into that, way to many scraps to deal with, haha.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

how big will the star be? I have not gotten into saving salvages but that is really cute.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Such a cute pincushion and you used selvages. .a win all the way around!

Laura said...

That is the sweetest little pincushion! :)

Allison said...

That's a great way to use salvages. I'm never sure what to do with them...

PaintedThread said...

Both projects look like fun. Those are great selvedges.

Linda said...

Oh my word that pincushion! Love it! Your Luminous Layers quilt is really going to be pretty.

piecefulwendy said...

Your Luminous progress is looking good! I love the pinnie, too - what a fun gift!