Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, January 24, 2024

I Like Thursday #372

Good morning!  It's that time of year for beautiful sunrises that are in the perfect spot for a photo out our front window.  


We've had some visits from favorite birds this last week.  A flock of cedar waxwings were flitting in out of the tree, going back and forth between our yard and the neighbor's pine tree across the street.

They seemed to like the seed pods that are left on the tree,
and they also enjoyed drinking the snow melt out of the gutters on the house!


After the frigid cold of the previous week, it has really warmed up here the last few days and Tuesday we went for a walk at the natural area.   And we found two bald eagles hanging out in the trees there!  Such an amazing sight.


I finished a fun book this week, The Mostly True Story of Tanner and Louise.  Louise is an 80-something year old lady who is recovering from a broken hip and her kids think she needs someone to live with her and help her out.  Tanner is a 20-something girl who had to drop out of college because of a sports injury, and she goes to live with Louise.  It turns out that Louise is a wanted criminal from something in her youth, and they have to go on the run!  It's a good story!


I started a new embroidery project this week.  It's from Melisa at PinkernPunkin Quilting, where I find lots of fun freebies to stitch on.  She's calling this "A Year of Hearts."  January's block is "A Winter's Night," so I did as much as I could in variegated blue - for cold and snowy - and now have started adding some other color to make interesting!


Our question of the week is - do you enjoy playing games and cards at your house?  And, yes, we do!  Mike and I, and our boys, too, have always played lots of board games and card games.  Cribbage is a favorite because you can play that with two, three, or four.  At Thanksgiving, we were digging around the game cabinet, and found this game that we had never played before.  We figured it out, played several rounds of it over that weekend, and it became a new favorite!


Hope you're having a great week!  Thanks for visiting on I Like Thursday hosted by LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color.
















15 comments:

Linda said...

That is such a pretty sunrise! I follow a rescue account on Instagram called Strong Island Animal Rescue League, and last week they rescued a Bald eagle found in distress on a highway median. They captured her, had her treated, and then released her the other day. Your embroidery is so cute. We used to play board games all the time, and I miss them!

Kate said...

Very pretty sunrise. We've had rain and fog since it warmed up, no sun yet. Tanner and Louise sounds like a really fun read. Your new snowman embroidery is really fun, looks like you are almost done with it. Happy stitching this weekend.

Libby in TN said...

Great bird photos. We have eagles that soar down our lake, so beautiful. We only get waxwings for one or two days when they are migrating. We started the game tradition when the boys were young and the Arkansas crew have carried on the tradition. Our favorite was Rail Barons, which is probably why they enjoy Ticket to Ride so much.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love Cedar Waxwings but so rarely see them - as Libby said we get them only for a few days a year and now and then we do spot them but it has been a long time since I have - always love Bald Eagles which we do spot now and then.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Diann! WOW - gorgeous sunrise! Love the birdies drinking from the gutter. That's so sweet, and the bald eagles!! Well, isn't that a cute snowman embroidery project!! I've always loved to play games. It's a great family activity. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

Angela said...

That is an absolutely stunning sunrise!

Deb A said...

Pretty sunrise and I always love seeing birds. That heart embroidery is very cute! I might have to go check it out.... I need to have the kids join me in game nights again. They shut themselves into their rooms too much now.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Wow what a sunrise!!!
and eagle and oh my!! LOVE this weeks photos!!!
Going to check out the book!!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Love your nature photos--thanks for sharing--
and I am working on the year of hearts too--took me 3 weeks to decide how I wanted to stitch mine this year--just finished it off yesterday and will be posting on Sunday's post--used two shades of blues in the Wildflower collection and plan to do 2 shades of one color each month--and I can use white and black if needed--did use some white on January's--at least these are the 'rules' I have given myself!!!!
hugs di

MissPat said...

Diann, that sunrise would be the perfect inspiration for this week's Project Quilting prompt. Gorgeous. I don't think I've ever seen a cedar waxwing, although I just checked and they are supposedly found in NY year round. If it's not a robin, cardinal or bluejay, I'm pretty bad at IDing birds.
Pat

PaintedThread said...

Pretty birds - impressive eagle. The book looks like fun!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What a beautiful sunrise! I love watching the sunrise. Your new stitching project is so sweet! Melisa really has a knack for creating the cutest small designs! There is so much personality in each stitchery! I like cribbage. I didn't know you could play it with three or four people in addition to two! My husband told me all about it. . .he would know. He is the cribbage king and said he has played with three and four players often!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Lovely sunrise. My sister-in-law taught us Hand and Foot, and we liked playing that with them. But we don't see them much, only once or twice a year.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I love the birds...won't see any Waxwings here for a while that's for sure. Isn't it amazing to capture a bald eagle...thrilling. You do such a good job of Melisa's lovely designs. Pretty sky photo too...our only complaint about this property is we do not see sun rise or set because of the trees.

Mary said...

Wow, that is a gorgeous sunrise!!!