Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, January 26, 2024

Continuing on with Table Scraps in 2024

It's always hard to believe when we get to the end of a month, especially January, which feels like such a long month after the fun of the holidays.  I enjoy the end of the month, though, because that's when it's time to finish up and share my Table Scraps project.

I'm going to continue to participate in the Table Scraps Challenge hosted by The Joyful Quilter this year because I love playing around with a few scraps and making a little something or other.  I usually use the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color of the month, and try to incorporate the theme that Joy gives us.  This month it's Green and Snowflakes.  An interesting combination!

Here's where I started.  I've got the green part down, but no snowflakes... yet.


Those scraps evolved into this - the cream squares were scraps from the Little Penguin Scrap Bin that had interfacing fused onto the back.  Probably trimmings from an embroidery project.


So, how about some "snowflakes" embroidered in the cream squares?


And here's my little finish - 

About 15 x 8.5

Some red with snowflakes for the back - 


This fits on top of the desk in our family room.

So, the Little Penguins are off to a scrappy start for 2024!

Linking up to The Joyful Quilter for January's Table Scraps Challenge.
TGIFF at Melva Loves Scrap
Also SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and 















16 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I know end of January already - we are what the locals refer to as "fake spring" right now having been in the 20-30's and now in the 50's and maybe even will hit a 60 soon - I'm sure by mid February when the daffodils will be popping out of the ground we will have a cold spell then another warm spell and back and forth until sometime in late March.
your penguins are cute

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I found those cute penguins made me smile! So obviously, I love the final little mat. And sweet embroidered snowflakes too.

Deb A said...

Love how you included the snowflakes! A cute little project. I agree, this month has seemed so long, I'm ready for February.

grammajudyb said...

Another cute little mat. I love using mats, and small runners in my house too. Great idea to embroider the snowflakes. Very Clever!!

Anonymous said...

I love your embroidered snowflakes, and the fact that you custom made the size to suit the desk. Cute penguins.
Jane

Linda said...

I love those little penguins! Your embroidered snowflakes are perfect for that mat, and it looks so cute with the little table penguin. He looks like he's supervising the others. :D

Michele McLaughlin said...

Oh that penguin piece is adorable! I love your layout and the backing fabric is perfect!

The Joyful Quilter said...

OMG!! Such a darling way to incorporate the GREEN and the SNOWFLAKES, Diann. LOVE it!! Thank you for continuing with the Table Scraps Challenge this year. Enjoy!

Kate said...

A very cute table topper for the season. Those penguins are really fun.

Jenny said...

Such a lovely little finish.

Sue said...

So cute! And very clever of you to embroider your snowflakes to complete the challenge.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Clever way to incorporate snowflakes, Diann!!! Cute little project!!!

Astrid said...

Love your penguin table scrap challenge! Such a clever idea to embroider the snowflakes! It's the cutest little table mat! Well done!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Such a cute table mat! Penguins, green trees, and embroidered snowflakes! Plus, the snowflake surprise on the back! Nice job!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Such a fun way to us that cute penguin print! Your embroidered snowflakes add the perfect touch to your table mat. Kudos on a great finish!

Bonnie said...

Cute placemat. I like how you added your own snowflakes plus snowflakes on the back. Great job.