Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Getting started on the SAHRR

The first border prompt for this year's Stay at Home Round Robin was out on Monday, and you can find the post here at Pieceful Thoughts of My Quilting Life.  Wendy called for signature blocks, which are quick and easy to make.   The hardest part is deciding which color and fabric to use!

Since my goal is to make a summer-y wall-hanging, and my colors are reds, whites, and yellows, how about this one?  A bright yellow batik with butterflies and dragonflies on it - what's more summer-y than that?


I started simply, making just four of them out of 2.5 inch yellow squares and 1.5 inch corner squares.

I didn't use much of the yellow in these little blocks, 
but I have lots more of it so I'm sure it will show up again!

I felt like the original embroidery block needed a contrasting border before I went too much further, so I used some red and white and gingham, and the signature blocks became the cornerstones!

This first border makes my block 12.5 inches square.

Quiltfabrication for Midweek Makers.









16 comments:

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Very nice! The gingham is the perfect complement to the embroidery!

Linda said...

LOVE that yellow batik! Your red border is perfect. Nice start!

Kate said...

That yellow works really well, very nice cornerstones. I've got my measurements figured out, but other than the background, I don't have my fabric picked out yet.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

have fun with it.

Debbie said...

Love your round robin.. The center is darling: such nice handwork. I love your use of the blocks in the corners, making the red also stand out.

Vicki in MN said...

Great idea to add the red gingham and use the siggy block as just the corner stones.

piecefulwendy said...

Your border is just the right touch, and I like the little pop of the signature blocks in each corner! Fun!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

its perfect!!and so very summery!!!

Sara said...

The red was a really good choice, and I like how you kept the signature blocks just in the corners.

Cathy said...

Very cute so far! I love red and yellow together...so happy looking.

Deb A said...

Sew cute and summery!

grammajudyb said...

Oh! Love it already! I’m a pushover for gingham or polka dots!

Bernie Kringel said...

Great start Diann. After a little coffee, I am headed upstairs to work on the signature blocks for my project.

JanineMarie said...

Well this block is looking juicy. Now I want some lemonade on a picnic blanket.

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

The red and yellow are a wonderfully Summery combination :)

Kathleen said...

Love the signature blocks in the corner and the cheery red border!