Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, January 5, 2024

Getting Started with Green

I'm continuing on into 2024 with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge - one of my favorite link-ups for sharing quilt progress and getting inspiration!   I think I've been participating in the RSC since 2017.


In December I decided to start a new project for the year - scrappy Patchwork Hearts.  To begin with, I made a red one and a blue one.  These are fun!  Made with 2.5 inch squares and HSTs, these finish at 12 inches.  


When Angela announced that green was the color for January, I started digging around in my scrap bin for pieces that would give me a 2.5 inch square.  Apparently I have more lighter/brighter greens than darker ones!  But here's the first try for a green heart.


These actually take longer to choose and cut the pieces than to sew up!  I'm thinking that I will either need two hearts of each color each month, for 20 blocks, or some kind of alternate block to go in between each heart.  Still thinking about that!


I've also been making some progress on the hand-pieced bowtie project.  It's now sewn into four big blocks and there are four left to sew together for a strip at the bottom of the quilt top.


Then, just last night, a little progress was made with those last four.   This section has some favorite green scraps!


Sharing at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday.
















20 comments:

Linda said...

Love your patchwork hearts! I agree with you - it takes more time to pick out than to sew - that is the bane of my sewing time! Your bowtie quilt is looking great. Are you going to border with that pretty red? I am thinking about informally doing my own personal RSC this year. Just need to decide on a block or two.

maggie fellow said...

the hearts look lovely in other colors 9- other than red or pink. I might like to try one.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I'm going to make at least one RSC this year but have yet to start

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

The hearts are wonderful, they will be great in any color! Nice progress on the bow ties, too. Have a happy RSC new year!

Vicki in MN said...

I like your new scrappy hearts!

piecefulwendy said...

You choose such fun blocks for the RSC. I am considering joining in, but I cannot seem to settle on a block. Although improv blocks might be fun. Anyway, always enjoy seeing your projects!

scraphappy said...

The hearts are such a fun way to showcase your favorite bits of fabric. Picking out which to use is the fun part.

Kate said...

Those heart blocks are going to be a fun RSC project. You've made good progress on the bow ties. Looking forward to seeing more playing with scraps this year.

Mari said...

Those hearts are going to make an adorable RSC project! They're so cute and sure to make you happy every month. Plus they'll look great in any color! A win all around.

grammajudyb said...

Those patchy hearts are going to be so cute! Which ever way you decide, all hearts or with an alternate block, it will be fun. Do you cute 2 at once HSTs or do you cut them one at a time? I tried both ways for the hst in my split 9s, and can’t decide which is better. Either way there is waste!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Hearts are a great RSC block!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Love the scrappy hearts, Diann!!!

Maggie said...

I just love the happy bright hearts! Those blocks are beautiful.

Susie H said...

Oh those bow ties! So sweet and I love the layout. Your hearts are going to be beautiful in a quilt too. Lots of love! So you've been participating in RSC since 2017? And you still have loads of scraps? Lol! Guess they're right when they say that the scraps multiply overnight! hahaha

Jenny said...

The patchwork hearts are so pretty, a great block for RSC.

Deb A said...

Those hearts are adorable! Great progress on the bow ties as well. I agree, choosing the fabrics takes way longer than sewing them together!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I like your green heart and your bow ties are so close to becoming a top. Well done!

Chantal said...

Lol! I'm with you on this one. It takes longer to choose the fabric than to sew it. But it is worth it as your heart blocks are beautiful. I said I wouldn't start a RSC block this year but those bowties are really tempting. Enjoy! ;^)

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed making these blocks last year. They do take a lot of variety of scraps to get them done. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Julie in GA said...

Your scrappy heart blocks look great! I made similar blocks for the RSC a couple years ago. They are a great pattern for using lots of different fabrics.