Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Progress toward JOY!

Even though today is Halloween, I'm continuing to work on my Christmas project and making good progress!   Since last week's Midweek post, I've 

  • Cut out all the 2.5 inch squares
  • Figured out a layout and made the stitch and flip corner pieces

  • And then started to sew...

and sew


and sew!

Right now this measures 10.5 x 32.5.
I've seen this made both with and without borders - 
just have to decide which way I want to finish it.

Along the way, I had some time to start a new project - I figured as long as the Christmas bin was out, I might as well!  These blocks are called Sixteen Across, and can be found at susie's-scraps.  They are 16 patch blocks with a special light and dark layout.

Special thanks to Jocelyn and Linda for leading me down this squirrelly path! 

This week that border decision has to be made for the Joy wall-hanging, more Sixteen Across blocks will be made (they're good leaders and enders!), and there are Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks to sew into quilt tops.  I won't run out of things to work on!  How about you?

Linking up with Quiltfabrication for Midweek Makers.














17 comments:

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Your JOY project is moving quickly along! I like your 16 patches with the dark placements. Those are going to be some great blocks! I too have plenty to work on. . .keeping up with the temperature quilt and making progress quilting the Lone Star.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Oh my, I just adore your Joy quilt. I is coming along nicely! Gorgeous fabrics you are using for the 16 patches as well. Happy November, Diann.

Libby in TN said...

Love your JOY. Maybe just a candy-stripe binding?

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you are getting ready for the holidays already - I think in another week or so I will need to put my NYB blocks aside for a week or so and work on my flannel decorative pillows that I said I was going to make last year and never got around to!

Anonymous said...

What a Joy filled project! Great use of Christmas scraps! Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Vicki in MN said...

Always so much fun to start/whip up a new project! Whatever you decide to do with Joy it will bring you so much joy seeing it finished and in use:)

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

You had snow on the ground two days before us so far north of you which is really strange to me. Not here to stay yet I hope. So love your Joy and now your 16 across blocks, Diann, and thanks so much for the mention too. Continued Happy Stitching!

grammajudyb said...

Great progress made on the JOY wall hanging! It will be a fun addition to your decorations. I like the 16 across blocks too! The resemble Garlic Knot in my mind. Thanks for the link to Susie’s scraps.

MissPat said...

The Joy banner will make a cute little gift for your friend (at least I think you said you were making it as a gift). The 16 patch blocks with Christmas colors is a wonderful idea. I may give it a try, but first I have to quilt a table runner I made last year using Christmas fabric. The blocks resulted from a goof I made in cutting, but I came up with an alternate design so they didn't go to waste.
Pat

Nann said...

Oh, what a joy-filled project! Love the scrappiness and the sentiment.

Susie H said...

Love how you sewed the J-O-Y vertically. It's so pretty and sure to please. I also have plenty to work on. Time is what is in short supply lately.

Deb A said...

Your JOY is beautiful and I LOVE the new 16 patch blocks. That is a fun design that Jocelyn shared in her last post.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Diann! JOY! I love your hanging . . . you might just be inspiring me to make a version of this, too. We ended up having a white Halloween. That's nuts! {{Hugs}} a bunch. ~smile~ Roseanne

Linda said...

Your JOY project is so beautiful! Those 16 patches are addictive, right? I just love all your colors and placement. I keep watching that website to see if/how she places all of her blocks. She mentioned sashing, and I'm wondering if that would interrupt the pattern of light/dark. Guess I'll just keep making blocks and decide later. ;)

Auntie Em said...

Very nice Christmas gift! and what a great way to use a variety of Christmas fabrics.

Kate said...

Your Christmas scrappy projects all look great. The wall hanging is really cute. Happy scrappy stitching this week.

Susan said...

The letters look great! Can't wait to see the rest