Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, October 4, 2023

I Like Thursday #356

Happy Thursday, friends!   It's time for I Like Thursday over at Not Afraid of Color.  It was my birthday last week - the final one of my 60s.  That's sort of hard to believe!  We went on a scenic drive up in the mountains and enjoyed the leaf color.


Also the wildlife!

This guy had a harem of females and young ones trailing along behind him, and he was bugling to tell the other males to stay away!

My sister and I don't usually exchange gifts anymore, but she surprised me with this beautiful Mola from their trip to Panama earlier this year.




My son made me a cake-type thing for my birthday cake, in the air fryer!  (The recipe says it can be made in the insta-pot, too.) These were little individual cakes made in ramekins, chocolate with a peanut butter filling.  Yum!


And speaking of cooking - I'm not a particularly adventurous or creative cook, but I do have a new spice I want to try.  Garam Masala.  Our older son likes this one and sent me a recipe he tried which uses it.  I need to dig out the recipe and give it a try!

I like this description of the garam masala flavoring from Simply Recipes:
 "Garam masala has a deep, savory flavor with a fruity brightness and peppery notes that warm the tongue. The more spices used in the blend the more complex the flavor becomes."


And one more thing to share: I spent some time laying out the split 9 patch blocks yesterday afternoon, and came up with something so fun and colorful!  
I'm excited to sew these up!

Thanks for visiting - hope you're having a great week!  















16 comments:

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I hope you like spice and the recipe will be one that you make many times! I love your split nine path layout! Wow!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I love the asymmetrical barn raising layout for your split nine patches! Are you going to hand quilt this one? Just a few trees are changing colour here. It was 29 degrees here yesterday. Way too hot for October. Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Libby in TN said...

We love the "any pot" masala sauce (Private Selection) so I bought the spice but have yet to use it. Please share your recipe if you like it. The aspens are beautiful. Our trees are probably not going to be as stunning this year because of the damage from the Christmas freeze. Love your split 9s. That is such a versetile block.

Linda said...

I missed your birthday - Happy Birthday Diann! Those little cakes look yum. Love those aspens, so pretty. That split 9-patch layout is really beautiful!

Vicki in MN said...

A very Happy belated Birthday!! Those cakes look delicious, you have a very nice son:) Yes you better hop over to that sewing machine and whip that quilt up, I love that layout.

PaintedThread said...

Garem Masala is good stuff. Those little cakes look delicious! I love those colorful hummingbirds. I really like the layout for your quilt, too. good stuff all around!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

happy birthday - if you can't believe 69 just wait until next year when it flips to 70 - mine is 71 now and I still have a hard time believing it.
I have not tried that spice, I always make the same old stuff and need to try new things. The cake dessert looks good. The quilt is turning out great.
Love the elk and always love to see them.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Diann! Happy belated Birthday to you. That cake looks delicious and it is the perfect size, too. Your mountain ride looks so pretty and relaxing, and that buck had it going on, for sure. I just LOVE the layout for your RSC blocks. It is a happy-looking pattern and it'll be fun to sew. Happy Thursday to you. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

Angela said...

So much beauty in this post! The mola is gorgeous and so is that male deer? elk?

piecefulwendy said...

Happy Birthday, Diann! My SIL just had her 70th too, and we are celebrating at the retreat this weekend. I am going to email you a recipe for that spice - one I just tried and liked!

LA Paylor said...

i've never used that spice but now I want to. Thanks! Also, chocolate cake with peanut butter filling? oooooooo
your quilt is so so so so soooo pretty
LeeAnna

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Yes that arrangement is so beautiful, Diann. Also I would love those little chocolate explosion cakes. OH yes, belated Happy Birthday! You are catching up to me, LOL. I thought I was much older than you.

grammajudyb said...

Our daughter was up in Estes Park on Saturday! Years ago we stayed there and witnessed the Elk bugling! Amazing! I’ve not tried Garam Marsala, but love the description! Speaking of love, you nailed the layout on your split nines! Fantastic!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

A belated happy birthday, Diann. I hope you had a great birthday week. The colors of the trees are gorgeous and what a treat to see the elk. Yum on the explosion cake; it looks so delicious. And how fun to see your layout for the Split Nine patch.Have a great weekend.

Jeanna said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Diann. Those peanut butter cakes look wonderful. What a nice thing that your son made your birthday cake. I love the layout of your split 9 patches, this will be a pretty quilt.

Laura said...

Happy birthday, Diann! That chocolate cake looks scrumptious! Peanut butter is a treat for me as the Hubster can't even stand the smell, let alone the taste. My daughter makes wonderful peanut butter and chocolate cookies!
Love the layout for your split nines! This will be a cheerful quilt! :)