Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Saturday, May 1, 2021

Slow Stitching this week and Blogger Award Nomination

CathieJ of Cathie's Craftworks was so sweet to nominate me for the Outstanding Blogger Award!  Thank you, Cathie - I really appreciate that!  I've gotten to know Cathie through the Slow Sunday Stitching link-up at Kathy's Quilts, so I thought I'd post my response right here on my Sunday post.  Cathie gave me some questions to answer, so here goes!

Do you do anything else while crafting? (i.e. listen to music or a book, watch TV, etc.)

I usually work on embroidery, hand-piecing, or other kinds of hand stitching in the evenings when my husband and I watch TV together.   I enjoy having something to do with my hands while we have a show on.

This week I finished up my Harmony Hand-pieced quilt top while we've been watching the show "Elementary" on Hulu.  Elementary is a modern day version of Sherlock Holmes with Lucy Liu playing Dr. Watson.  We're enjoying it!

Do you prefer crafting alone, with a friend or in a group?

I mostly sew alone.  My favorite time in my studio with the sewing machine is an hour or so every afternoon, and it's sort of sacred "me" time!  I do have a local quilt group that meets monthly, and we often bring a show-and-tell project, but we don't sew together.

Beach, lake, mountains? What would be your preferred place to vacation/visit? 

Always - the beach!  I live just on the eastern edge of the Rocky Mountains, so I can go there whenever I want.  So a beach vacation is a must.  Due to Covid, of course, we haven't traveled in a long time.  But a few years ago, I put my toes in the Pacific Ocean, the Atlantic Ocean, and the Gulf of Mexico all in one year!  I'm definitely looking forward to a trip back to the ocean - hopefully later this year.

I do like this woodsy fabric that I found at Bernie's Needle and Foot Etsy shop.
It will be the backing for my Harmony quilt.  I need to get that prepped for hand quilting - hopefully this week!

What is your favorite genre of music?

I love all kinds of music!  I enjoy singing along with 60s classics, country-western, and Broadway musicals.   I also love groups like Celtic Women, Enya, and soloists like Celine Dion or Josh Groban. 

This week I've also been working on this April One Stitch at a Time club design,
and making good progress.  See the little bluebird?  I'm sure he's singing a pretty song!

Thanks, again, Cathie!  Sharing at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.



 


14 comments:

Michele McLaughlin said...

Great projects! Love your embroidery and your Harmony piece! It was neat to learn more about you with these questions! I can't wait to see the ocean again but it will be a while... Have a safe and happy weekend!

Kate said...

Your hand pieced block turned out beautifully! Enjoy your slow stitching time today.

Ivani said...

Harmony block is perfect and it is difficult to beleive it was all hand pieded.It is So Beautiful and well done. I can hear that blue bird song from here.(LOL) Nature is beautiful.

Libby in TN said...

How big is Harmony? It looks a lot bigger than I thought it would be. Nice job. I enjoyed watching Elementary when it was on another network; interesting reinterpretation of the story.

Linda said...

How fun to learn more about you Diann! That woodsy backing is perfect for Harmony, especially with the marshmallows on sticks fabric.

CathieJ said...

Thanks so much for answering my questions. I learned a little more about you. I live near the ocean, but I am definitely not a beach person. I prefer to vacation near a lake in the mountains. Go figure. I am sort of a loner when crafting also. I really like your embroidery piece. Enjoy your stitching.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

and I always like to travel to the mountains or dessert as I live near water and really don't care for it - a lake not an ocean - but water is not my thing. Maybe most of us prefer what we do not have?

grammajudyb said...

Love your choice of backing fabric for Harmony! Traveling is certainly an activity to look forward too! I hope you get to the ocean in 2021,,

Karrin Hurd said...

Congratulations on your award! Great projects you are working on. Harmony looks beautiful.

JanineMarie said...

Congrats on the OBA! It’s fun to learn tidbits about you. I can relate to the solo working and handwork while watching TV. But I’m curious, do you have anything on while you’re doing other sewing related activities or machine work?

Deb A said...

Love learning little tidbits about people! Your Harmony quilt is lovely and that backing is perfect for it.

piecefulwendy said...

What a fun post to read, Diann, and see your projects!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

What a delightful post and congratulations on the award. It was so fun learning a little bit more about you .Sweet projects you are working on too. Have a lovely week and happy quilting.

Kim said...

I have enjoyed reading your answers to Cathie's questions and finding out a little bit more about you. Congratulations on the award. Your Harmony quilt is lovely and the woodsy fabric is a fabulous fit.