Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, May 7, 2021

My week in red...

I thought I'd lay my blocks out on the upstairs "design floor" instead of the downstairs design wall and try to take advantage of the morning sun.  This week I made two Chandelier Bead blocks in red.  I love these simple blocks!


Here's the whole collection so far:

I'll keep making two of these 6.5 inch blocks each month,
and then figure out what to do with them later in the year!

My hand stitching project this week has been to make another scrappy trips block in red.  This might be my favorite one yet - I love the red and white prints!

You might notice that when I had the red scraps out for one project, 
I also used them for the other!

Now there are nine of these blocks, and the design is really emerging!


For this month's second block, I decided to go with some darker reds I found.  Some came out of the Christmas bin!  

I've been trying to use up the peppermint candy fabric forever,
but there's still more left!

This one might be cheating for a red block, but it's such a fun print that I couldn't resist doing a little fussy cutting.


Linking up with all my favorite weekend parties:
SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday 
and Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching!
Since I got at least 5 minutes of sewing machine time 6 out of 7 days this past week, and did some hand-piecing each evening, I'm also linking up with Kate
at Life in Pieces for 15 Minutes to Stitch.




















31 comments:

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Lovely red blocks! I love your scrappy trips block, what a great idea to sew plain fabric in the center, and working towards with darker. Cute writing print ;)

Libby in TN said...

Keep up the good work! Love the red/white!

Linda said...

Pretty reds Diann! I like that scrappy trip pattern. The soda fabric is one of my faves, and I'm still hoarding some of it!

Kate said...

The red and white trip block worked really well. The chandelier blocks are fun too. That block is on my to do list for some day.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like the design emerging on that patchwork - nice!!

Ivani said...

I love the red trip block and it is perfect near the other colors and your perfect hand piecing is amazing, Diann!
Happy weekend.

Kathy S. said...

Wow, the design is definitely emerging beautifully! Have a great weekend!

Maggie said...

Beautiful blocks, glad you dipped into the Christmas reds, as I found a few and now they will be used as well. The patterns emerging is going to make a beautiful quilt.

grammajudyb said...

Your reds are fabulous! I’ve never done a chandelier block, they are starting to grow on me! I need to start drafting the exclamation mark paper for Full Stop!

Marly said...

Lovely red blocks Diann, especially the red and white trip. All your bead blocks together look splendid.

Cathy said...

Your Scrappy Trip blocks (especially the lighter one) are darling! Do I see the red scraps left over from your hand-stitched red quilt from last year? (The most beautiful red and white quilt ever!) I love your chandelier blocks too.

LA Paylor said...

great workmanship on the hand pieced blocks. They are intriguing when put together... really matters how you shade them. Always your work is so precise and dynamic

piecefulwendy said...

This is one time seeing red is a good thing! Such fun to see your blocks grow and patterns emerge!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Great scrappy red blocks. I love seeing other people’s scraps

MissPat said...

Seeing your chandelier blocks reminds me that I have a bunch of them in a box. Not sure whether there's enough to do a quilt though. I have some of the soda print, too, but find It never seems to fit anywhere. Happy Mother's Day to both you and your Mom.
Pat

The Joyful Quilter said...

Super cute RED blocks for the RSC!!

Sarah said...

Lovely crisp red and white blocks. They look great with your other RSC blocks.

chrisknits said...

I do love me some red fabric! And that last one is perfect, it has red, so what if it isn't a lot!

PaintedThread said...

Those Chandelier Bead blocks are cute. You have so many different projects going on!

Jenny said...

Ive always liked the chandelier beads blocks, so pretty. And your trip blocks look wonderful in all the different colours!

Deb A said...

Such pretty reds! Those trip blocks are looking great.

maggie fellow said...

the handstitching looks so nice

Katie Z. said...

Ooh la la! Your reds and projects are all so beautiful.

Kim said...

That upstairs design wall is coming up trumps. Those Chandelier Bead blocks are so pretty. That fussy cut block makes me smile. You must sneak it in.

Kim said...

Oops silly me......"upstairs design floor". =)

Jayne said...

Always a pleasure seeing what you've been up too! For some reason I adore the Chandelier Blocks! Thank you for sharing all your blocks. They are very pleasing to the eyes!

CathieJ said...

You've been busy with so many pretty blocks! I love looking at the variety of fabrics.

Karrin Hurd said...

Great reds and prints! I have a design floor too! Hope you have a great week!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

That is one of the wonderful things about scraps, many times you can fit them into lots of different blocks. I love all of your projects. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Bonnie said...

Your red prints make my heart go pitter patter. I have my table scraps runner pattern picked out... tomorrow I will see if I have the right color of reds and reds on whites to make the pattern come to life.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such fun blocks you have been working on. And of course you have sparked my imagination for a future project for myself. Love the peppermint fabric ; I bet you will use it up soon. Happy quilting.