Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, May 19, 2021

I Like Thursday #236

 What a difference a week makes!  Last Thursday's post involved snow, but today it's looking like this here in Colorado.


I liked doing some planting this week, finally!  I garden on a very small scale, and this is my 3 foot x 4 foot raised bed with a couple of pots for the tomatoes.

In the raised bed, I planted green beans, cucumbers, and pumpkins.
The green beans finally poked their heads up today!

This beautiful Western Tanager has been celebrating Spring in our yard this week, too!  I think we're just a rest stop on his way up into the mountains for the summer,  but we've sure enjoyed seeing him.




I've been enjoying this book this week, recommended by Wendy of Pieceful Thoughts.  So many interesting parts to this historical account of two young women who wanted some different experiences from what was typical for women in the 1920s.  


We watched this sweet movie on Netflix the other night.  It's an older one from 2009, but I had never seen it before.  It's a lovely story about a very loyal dog, based on a true story from Japan.


One thing I always enjoy doing is trying something new in my sewing room.  This week I've been planning to make the exclamation mark blocks for the May row of the Full Stop sampler for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  Yesterday, I drew out the pattern for paper-piecing the top section, and got one block made.

A row of these will be fun with the other blocks!
Lots more to make...

Hope you're having a great week!
                      Joining in with LeeAnna and friends at Not Afraid of Color 
                                                         for I like Thursday.













20 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you have some nice quilting going on. My garden space was started late and I don't know if my green beans have even started to come up - I was late planting them and then we have gotten so much rain - I need to try to get down to the garden sometime today in between the rain and appointments and see what is going on with it. More rain expected this afternoon - this has been going on all week!

Susie H said...

Nice to see such a green lawn. We've enjoyed the cooler than normal weather lately but that will soon end as it is expected to reach 90 this weekend. Our humidity really makes it a killer. Such a sweet tanager too!

Libby in TN said...

What a treat seeing the tanager! Your yard and "garden" are looking great.

Linda said...

Your yard looks beautiful! Nice to have some veggies started. Do you do anything special to your raised bed soil each year? Our soil is so awful here I'm thinking of having my husband build a couple for us. As soon as lumber goes down in price! ;)

grammajudyb said...

I like your little garden! I put out 2 tomatoes in pots. I haven’t planted any flowers yet, but soon. I like how your exclamation points look. Did you decide on regular paper piecing? They look great! I don’t get to see Western Tanagers here....so thanks for sharing. My sister used to have them at her house too!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Your yard is gorgeous. I need to get my tomatoes planted, and zucchini, and cucumbers. What a lovely bird. Oh I loved that movie!

LA Paylor said...

the bird is gorgeous!!! that's one that needs to be painted with all the glorious color. I am still not sure about planting things as we got snow last year June 1st... it must be time if you planted

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

A wonderful capture at the suet feeder!
Good luck now with this year's plantings, Diann. It is always fun to try to grow some things even better if you can eat it! Those exclamation points look perfect!

piecefulwendy said...

Oh, I'd love to see a Western Tanager - what a beautiful bird! Glad you are enjoying the book with all its history of your area. That's a perfect sized garden, I think! We watched that movie awhile ago, it was a good one.

Rochelle aka Bella Quilts said...

Both the book and the movie are favorites of mine. The scarlet tanager is beautiful and you must enjoy seeing many birds there. I remember the photos of the snow last week and think about the sunshine we had last week and the freeze warning for tonight here in No. Nevada. After all, it is still May. Those exclamation points are going to be lovely.

chrisknits said...

Lovely items to celebrate this week! We got to 80's today, wish we could just have a solid month of 70's before we go nuclear. LOL

The Joyful Quilter said...

It looks like you are having a good week, Diann. Thanks for the reminder that I still need to sew my Full Stop block! Yes, I'm only making one or two of each.

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Beautiful bird...so bright. I've been thinking about putting raised
bed in...I like to grow flowers and veggies, my son does it now, but if we had a raided bed I could do it a lot less pain. Like your Exclamation block. Have a great day!

Vicki in MN said...

Oh my that bird is beautiful, you are so lucky to have him visit!

PaintedThread said...

Your garden looks nice. Western Tanagers are pretty. That exclamation block looks great! What fun.

Ivani said...

Beautiful bird. I love that movie, so touching.
And I like the water fontain in your garden.
The exlamation block looks great.

MissPat said...

The weather is making it very hard to get plants in the ground. Last week we had frost warnings for four nights in a row and this week we are in the upper 80's and very dry. And the deer have been around nibbling at the ornamentals.
Pat

Michele McLaughlin said...

So glad you are finally getting good weather and that bird WOW! We don't have them here (that I know of). The Hachi movie made me cry even though I knew the ending (I saw the Japanese version or read the books years before). Spend as much time as you can outside! The dog days of summer will be here before we know it! Have a safe and happy week!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Diann! I am behind on reading blogs and commenting, and I apologize for that. Your garden flower-spinner looks so fun! I think my littles would be drawn into that and would enjoy watching it. If not them, I would for sure!! Both of your book recommendations look good. Great job on your arrows, too! I think we'll both make lots of headway on them this week. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

Sandra Walker said...

I love your ! blocks. I am trying hard to resist joining in with this; it looks such fun. I guess you were in that system that Alberta to the north of you got, although they had snow again this past week. Our daughter FaceTimed with videos (a veritable Christmas card!), was so upset, had all her plants in, but they moved all the pots etc and covered so she thinks it'll be okay. Thanks for the movie recommendation, and I will look into that book too!