Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, December 25, 2020

My year of scrappy rainbows..

I've done a lot of sewing this year!  Have you found that to be true for yourself, too?  I know some bloggers have written about losing their sewing mojo, but that hasn't been a problem for me.  Quilting and sewing have really helped how I feel about daily life and all the challenges of 2020,  so I rarely go a day without some kind of stitching.  

Before I start thinking about 2021, and planning what I want to work on, I wanted to do some year end posts about the quilts and projects I finished in 2020.  

Early in the year, I was determined to finish up my version of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge sampler quilt from 2019, Tiny Tuesday.  These blocks were shared by Angela and other guest bloggers throughout the year just about every Tuesday, and I had fun playing along with them!  In early February, I had a finish!


Tiny Tuesday has been my go-to cuddle quilt all year long!



Another favorite finish in 2020 was Scrappy Sprouts and Sunflowers.  This quilt was actually started in 2018, with sprouts blocks being made in the color of the month throughout the year.  During 2019, I figured out a layout, made some sunflower Dresden plate blocks, and finally (it took awhile!) figured out how I wanted the sky to look.  This year I attached the sunflowers and got the whole thing quilted and finished!


I started making Rainbow Rails blocks in September of 2017, and finally in 2020 I felt like I had enough of them to make a quilt!  I started these blocks to make use of the smallest scrappy bits - 1.5 x 2.5 inch rectangles and ended up with 25 ten inch blocks.

From this:


To this:


Two smaller scrappy quilts were also finished this year.  Super Scrappy Baby was made out of crumb blocks, and was just the right size to send to Jack's Basket during the Hands2Help quilt drive.


The other combined a rainbow of color gradient blocks with a fun Kona Aloha background.  I'd like to donate it somewhere, too, but haven't sent it off yet.


Of course, through the year, I started a few new projects, too!  Several quilt tops are ready to be quilted, and there are some blocks to work on as well.  I'll be back with my planning for scrappy projects in the new year in another post.

Sharing at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and at






















29 comments:

Julie in GA said...

You finished so many beautiful rainbow quilts this year! It's impossible for me to choose a favorite--maybe Tiny Tuesday because I made those blocks too. Mine are all joined together, waiting to be quilted. Congrats on all of your finishes!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Your rainbow quilts inspired me to want to join along with this challenge next year! I'm so glad you posted these photos! I'm jazzed to do it in 2021!! I love each and every one of these quilts!!! They are so happy!!! Have a great day Diann!

Linda said...

You really have done a lot of stitching this year! Your joy comes through and inspires me. :) Can't wait to see what else you get going for 2021.

Kat Scribner said...

GREAT finishes, Diann. Can't quite pick a favorite, the first one is just wonderful but the sunflowers really smile at me. Here's tippin my teacup to a great new year for us all !

Jennifer said...

good job! love all your finishes- and isn't it great to have the RSC community to spur us on?

maggie fellow said...

really wonderful finishes - I look forward to seeing next year

Gretchen Weaver said...

You finished many pretty RSC quilts but my favorite is scrappy sprouts. I love the dresden sunflowers. Happy stitching in 2021!

scraphappy said...

The Dresden Sunflowers are just beautiful. Love the way that the sky turned out! So many pretty rainbow finishes this year. You have been productive!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you had a lot of great quilts this year I especially like the zigzag quilt

Mari said...

Such happy-looking projects! I can't pick a favorite, but the sprouts with the dresden sunflowers are just lovely. Happy end to 2020, and on to 2021!

Vicki in MN said...

You created some really fun rainbows. It was so fun to see them again!

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Beautiful quilts! Really like the sunflower quilt. Have a great day!

Preeti said...

A lot of sewing is an understatement. You have made quilts and quilty projects faster than I could read :-) Love love love the sunflowers!!! Wishing you a very happy new year. May your creativity continue into 2021. After all your creative pursuits are an inspiration to many of us. Hugs :-)

Deb A said...

You have had a prolific quilt finishing year! I know you have lots of other quilt finishes along the way other than the RSC quilts. Those little logs are amazing....and now I have way too many quilt ideas dancing in my head that I want to make! Thank you for all the inspiration through the years.

The Joyful Quilter said...

You had a year of totally AWESOME rainbow scrappy finishes, Diann!!!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

You definitely had a very productive year and created some beautifully colorful quilts. I look forward to seeing what you make in the new year. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

MissPat said...

I'm going to try my best not to let all the year end summaries by prolific quilters like you make me feel guilty for being a slug in 2020. Instead. I'll spend this week evaluating what RSC projects I want to tackle, after taking 2020 off. That should, of course, include finishing at least one of the previous RSC tops, but who knows? I love the Dresden Sprouts. I also plan to get back to making some donation quilts. Got to use up this fabric stash somehow.
Pat

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

Wow! Those are fabulous quilts! Congratulations on all the finishes. Have a Happy New Year!

Jenny said...

So nice to see all those rainbow beauties you have finished, that's quite a group when you see them all together. Congratulations you have done so well, with more projects tucked away too, I'm sure.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Beautiful quilts, nice to see them displayed here all together. Your Sprout is so pretty and I love your Super Scrappy too.

Julierose said...

You did a lot of lovely quilts this year--my favorite are those sunflowers...they are so cheerful...nice works
hugs, Julierose

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Beautiful, cheerful, rainbow quilts! Congratulations on a year well spent!

chrisknits said...

All are lovely, but I love the Sampler best!!

piecefulwendy said...

You really have had a fun, colorful year! Always fun to see a parade of your quilts, Diann!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

You have certainly ended up with a great selection of colourful finishes, it's amazing!

PaintedThread said...

What fun, scrappy stuff!

grammajudyb said...

Five Fabulous Finishes! I know there were more too! I love them all! Tiny Tuesday and Scrappy Sprouts and Sunflowers are probably my favorites! Great job, Diann!

Cathy said...

So many adorable finishes this year, Diann! You’ve really done some fun and creative things. Your Tiny Tuesday is totally awesome, and I’m glad you kept that one for yourself!

Kate said...

Scrappy Sprouts and Sunflowers is still one of my top favorite quilts from this year. Congrats on all the RSC finishes.