Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, December 23, 2020

I Like Thursday #215: Quiet and Peaceful

It's definitely going to be a quiet and peaceful Christmas at our house, with just the two of us here.  Like so many others this year, I'm missing having my kids home and seeing extended family.  But there are things to like that will get us through.

I love seeing this group of sculptures on the corner of an intersection a couple miles from our house.

These were created by Jane Dedecker, a local sculptor who is also known for "Every Word We Utter," the women's suffrage monument which will be installed in Washington, DC.  Her home and studio are here in my town, right behind these sculptures!

For a bit of whimsy, there is also this sight to see, down a little ways and behind the fence.  Santa is delivering packages in his VW!


I love Christmas lights and ornaments on the tree!


We went for a drive to see Christmas lights around town, and this house is just on the next street over from us!


I finally did a little baking!


I went for simple this year - didn't even get out the cookie cutters.  
But they still taste good!  I did not share with my Raggedy friends back there!

If all goes according to plan, I will be Zoom Christmas-ing with my extended family later this morning.  It will be good seeing them, especially my mom, who would normally be visiting here this time of year.  She stayed in Arizona this year rather than travel, to be safe.  

Wishing you a peaceful Christmas!  Thanks for visiting for "I Like Thursday," and be sure to check out the other positive posts at Not Afraid of Color.








15 comments:

Linda said...

Glad you can find some things to provide some Christmas cheer Diann, especially those cookies. ;0) I hope you have a lovely Christmas!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Merry Christmas - those sculptures are wonderful and how nice that is is close to you. As far as that house with all the lights in your area - wow I don't think they could fit one more item in their yard or on the house - shades of Clark Griswold and the Christmas Vacation movie LOL

grammajudyb said...

It’s fun to take time to look for lighting displays and other decorations! We haven’t made sugar cookies, but did a batch of chocolate chip and a cranberry/white chocolate/pecan that are way yummy! Merry Christmas to you and Mike!

Michele McLaughlin said...

I'm glad you and your family are staying safe. You have a very cool town and I did not remember that Jane DeDecker was from your town (or maybe I just forgot). Really cool likes. I took it easy on everything for Christmas this year. Stay safe and have the sweetest virtual visits on Christmas! Hugs!

piecefulwendy said...

I hope you enjoy a lively and wonderful Zoom with your family, Diann! All the best Christmas wishes to you and Mike!

LA Paylor said...

just what I was going to do with sugar cookies today. Roll them in balls and smash with a glass! (can't locate our rolling pin if it made the move at all.
Have a good week you two, and if you want to have a happy hour at any point, we could zoom a glass of wine and chat.
LeeAnna

Deb A said...

Merry Christmas. That Santa in the bug is so funny!

MissPat said...

Thanks for the holiday tour of your neighborhood. We haven't ventured out to see the lights, but the village did have the annual luminary night last Sunday and participation was much better this year than the last few. I usually only make cookies at Christmas time and than only 2 kinds. This year I skipped the Peanut Butter Blossoms and made lemon squares instead to share with a quilting buddy whose birthday is today. Lemon squares are her favorite and she's usually in FL by now, so I got to make some for her this year. Merry Christmas to you and Mike.
Pat

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Diann! I'm so glad you will be Zooming with all your peeps. It sure isn't the same as in-person but it's the best we can do right now. Merry Merry Christmas, my friend. ~smile~ Roseanne

PaintedThread said...

What fun sculptures! Simple cookies taste just as good as fancy ones (and those look good!). Merry Christmas!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love your Raggedy dolls! And I'm sure you'll share the next time you bake! heehee! Merry Christmas!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Oh that nativity is fabulous. The santa in the VW is great too. Hope your zoom Christmas goes well! Merry Christmas!

Rochelle aka Bella Quilts said...

Some very beautiful photos. The sculpture is beautiful and really like the VW santa. See like displays takes me back to my childhood. While it is hard to be separated from family and friends, I am happy they are all staying safe. Wishing you a brighter new year.

Caffeine Girl said...

That VW is priceless!
Your mom was smart to stay in Arizona; traveling is just too risky!

FlashinScissors said...

Amazing sculptures Diann, wow, how lovely that the maker lives in your neighbourhood!
Glad your mom didn’t travel, it would have been waaay too risky!
We’ve been FaceTimeing with my sister, much safer than visiting!
Wishing you a happier New Year!
Hugs,
Barbara xx