Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, December 4, 2020

Just playing

I haven't touched any of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge projects this week, but I have been playing in the scraps.   I ended my Thursday post with this photo - a bunch of bits and pieces from my solids drawer and my Christmas scraps used to make an improv-ish tree.


It all started with Wendy's post at Pieceful Thoughts of My Quilting Life for the Virtual Cookie Exchange blog hop.  I loved her tree runner so much that I had to try making some myself.  After making some little slabs with the scraps I pulled, I decided my Tri-Recs rulers would work to make the tree shapes.



Pretty soon there were three trees!


After adding a little more of the dark gray for sashing and borders, this little runner will finish up at about 22.5 x 9.5.  The backing is all ready, and it just needs a little quilting and binding to be finished up.  

Sometimes you just have to play!

Updated: Saturday afternoon - I was able to get this little runner quilted and chose some red binding for it on - I'll hand stitch the binding down this evening.






Sharing at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and at 










29 comments:

grammajudyb said...

Oh my gosh! They turned out great!

Michele McLaughlin said...

I just love these! The trees POP against the background! It's very cheerful! I'm all for playing these days...

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Pretty trees, bright and happy! I love all these red spots in them, like ornaments.

Deb A said...

That is so cute! Hmmm. I have the tri recs rulers somewhere..... and the table is naked..... might have to remedy that.

Linda said...

Diann these trees are so pretty. Love that zig-zag fabric, and dark gray is the perfect sashing. "Playing in the scraps" is the best!

Vicki in MN said...

You are making quick work with this little project. So cute!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is so cute! I love it and what a good idea for trees.

scraphappy said...

What fun trees. The yellow and green together are so cheery.

maggie fellow said...

very,very nice

Cathy said...

Such a great idea, and cute as can be!

piecefulwendy said...

Well, you know I love this! Glad I inspired you to play!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Festive, Diann!!

Susie H said...

Cute as can be ... is right! Love the starry grunge background. Going to make a sweet table runner!

Cathy said...

Very clever to use the Tri Rec ruler to make those!

Rochelle aka Bella Quilts said...

Pretty cool.

Ivani said...

Pretty runner Diann!

Louise said...

How fun! I love how the bright scraps really shine against the gray snowflakes. Like holiday trees all decked out with ornaments and lights :)

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

What's more fun than playing with the scraps? Love your cute scrappy trees, right in the spirit of the holidays.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Cute, cute, great way to use up some scraps!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Super cute trees and what a terrific way to use a few bright scraps!

FlashinScissors said...

Gorgeous trees Diann, such lovely coloured scraps!
Hugs,
Barbara xx

Anonymous said...

Your little trees are adorable! And festive!

Michelle
https://mybijoulifeonline.com

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Your trees are so festive! Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Katie Z. said...

How cute!

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Oh I love the little Christmas tree runner! How fun! I'm sooooo behind on my reading! I wanted to follow along on the Cookie Exchange but oy! Hopefully I can play catch-up later this week!

Bonnie said...

That little table runner is so cute! Great job. I really like the red binding.

Nann said...

The scrappy trees are terrific! I like how you slapped a vertical (or vertical-ish) strip over the horizontal-ish pieces -- even more action. Must remember this idea . . .

Susie H said...

I guess I need to "learn" how to make crumbs AND slabs. The trees are adorable and the red binding was the perfect finish!

Kate said...

Very cute! The yellow adds a bit of zing to those festive greens. Congrats on a very fun and fast finish.