Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Saturday, December 26, 2020

My year of hand stitching

Somewhere back, sometime in 2019 for sure, I discovered that I enjoy hand stitching, and this year I did a lot of it!  Embroidery, hand-piecing, and hand quilting, especially for small projects, have become favorite pastimes.

This year, I completed lots of embroidery designs, and some were finished into little wall hangings or pillows.  Here are a few:

















A few embroidery designs were made into pouches, too.




I have discovered that I really enjoy hand-piecing and that also resulted in some finishes this year!   I participated in the Hand-Pieced QAL for the second year and completed the Book Club design in July.

I think this will be a favorite project of mine for a long time!

Another hand-pieced and hand-quilted finish included some blue work embroidery I had done in 2019.  The blue and white HST blocks created some neat stars!


I hand-pieced a little fall quilt during the Humble Quilts QAL in September, and I love how it turned out, too.


A final hand-pieced finish was this little doll quilt that I shared a couple weeks ago.


It's been a busy year of slow stitching, and I'm sure I'll continue with these kinds of projects in 2021, too.   I enjoy them and I do think this kind of stitching brings with it a lot of benefits - a calming and peaceful activity that I look forward to every day!

Sharing at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.






















25 comments:

FlashinScissors said...

Goodness Diane, so much stitching, and they all look beautiful.
I can’t believe how many quilts you’ve made.
Now you’ve inspired me to search for some embroidery that I stitched always intending it to become a pouch one day!
Hope you are having a lovely Christmas!
Hugs,
Barbara xx

Gretchen Weaver said...

Doing handwork brings a great satisfaction to a person. You made some very lovely projects in 2020 and I look forward to see what you create in 2021. Joyful stitching!

Linda said...

I knew you had hand stitched a lot but seeing them documented here is amazing. Beautiful work Diann!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Wow, you have accomplished a lot this year!

Julierose said...

Beautiful embroideries!! I especially love the "S is for Sew" pattern--
nice works hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

hand stitching is a wonderful calm work isn't it - I think more would enjoy it if they only tried. It might go slower but actually not as slow as some think!

Angela said...

Oh my! So much beauty! You were very productive!

Ivani said...

Lovely projects Diann. Congratulations for so many and beautiful finishes.
Happy Hand Stitching New Year!!

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

You have been a very busy stitcher! What a lovely batch of projects.

Happy New Year!

Quilter Kathy said...

What a wonderful blog post! Your hands have certainly been very busy through this interesting year! Congratulations on bringing so much beauty to the world with your stitches!

piecefulwendy said...

Another fun review, Diann! It's fun to see your projects once again, along with where you've displayed them in your home. I think it's so neat that you enjoy the hand stitching and piecing.

Karrin Hurd said...

Congratulations on your gorgeous finishes Diann! Love them all! Happy stitching and Happy New Year!

Rochelle aka Bella Quilts said...

I love all those beautiful projects you have completed. They must give you joy to see them each day. They are bright and cheerful.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I am amazed at what can be accomplished one stitch at a time. Beautiful projects

MissPat said...

What's really amazing is that these are just the handwork projects. You've machine pieced and finished a whole bunch, too. You can happily look back on 2020 and see how many beautiful things you accomplished.
Pat

chrisknits said...

All of them were wonderful finishes!

Deb A said...

It's hard to believe you only started the hand piecing and quilting last year. Such amazing projects - Book Club is a favorite of mine as well as your last finish. Looking forward to watching what is under your needle in 2021.

Kim said...

Seeing all the hand stitching you have done this year, Diann, I am struck by the beauty of each completed one. Those stitching fingers of yours are magical. I cannot choose a favourite, though I do love Book Club and the sweet embroidered, blue quilt. Love that sweet little bicycle, too. May your 2021 be filled with beautiful hand stitching, that when we visit, will make us smile.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Wow Diann! I didn’t realize you sewed so many projects by hand this year. It is nice to see them all again.

Jenny said...

So nice to see all your beautiful hand stitched pieces, thanks so much for sharing. I love doing stitcheries too, and isnt it interesting to look back over the year and count up just how many lovely things we have created.

PaintedThread said...

The bicycle is my favorite.

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW glad to see your 2020 handwork review, Diann!! Hmm...It's a good thing that I don't have to choose a favorite. I love them all!!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

A lot of beautiful hand stitching! Lovely embroideries, you are very good with this art.

Michele McLaughlin said...

wow Diann! I mean WOW! What a productive year you have had and all your projects are amazing!!! Thank you for always being a constant source of inspiration!!! Hugs!

Kate said...

Wow! That's a lot of pretty, pretty handwork projects. It's hard to pick a favorite, but I really like the bicycle and your blue bordered for patch doll quilt.