Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, December 30, 2020

I Like Thursday #216

Happy New Year's Eve!  It's just about time to say goodbye to 2020 - are you ready?  I am!  Not that many of the things we've disliked about this year will go away tomorrow just because we turn the calendar over, but at least we can have some hope for change to come.

Winter came back to my neck of the woods the other morning.  We woke up to about an inch of snow, and then the sun came out, and the world was very pretty!


I have to give a thumb's up to Bernie at Needle and Foot and her Etsy shop!  I decided to put in an order for some fabric on Monday morning about 9 am, and by 10 am, I had an email notification that she had already shipped it!  That's such amazing service!  Thank you, Bernie!


I just started reading my book club's choice for our January discussion yesterday, but it didn't take long to know I was going to like it.

The main characters are Elsa, a seven-year-old, and her Granny, who is her superhero.   I knew I was going to like the book when I read this in the first chapter, " All seven-year-olds deserve superheroes.  And anyone who doesn't agree needs their head examined."

I was playing with some charm squares the other day.  I pulled out pink ones and a few coordinating colors to go along with them, because pink is the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color for January.


I decided to make some 4 patches out of these squares, and I like making them the way I learned from Nickel Quilts by Pat Speth.

Match up two squares, right sides together, and sew a 1/4 inch seam on opposite sides.


Measure where 2.5 inches is and cut this piece in half.  Press these pieces open.


Match them back up with opposite colors together.  Sew across the seams on opposite sides.


Cut in half at 2.5 inches.  Open up and press and you'll have lots of 4 patches!



Happy New Year!  Wishing you all a happy and healthy 2021!
I'm joining in with LeeAnna and friends at Not Afraid of Color for 
"I Like Thursday."


















15 comments:

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Lovely snowy photo. I do my 4 patches that way when I have charm squares, what cute fabric too. I tell my grandsons all the time, find a girl who loves you as much as your grandmother (me)! :D

grammajudyb said...

Pretty pink four patches! Anxious to see what they become. I loved that book, and A Man Called Ove and Britt-Marie Was Here and Us Against You! I really want to read Fredrick Backman’s others too!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Happy New Year, Diann!!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Happy New Year - always love nine patches! I might do one for a leader ender this year. I have not seen that book but I will put it on my list. Your snow looks so pretty-- here is wishing a better new year for all of us

Linda said...

I really like your colors and thanks for the tute on 4-patches. I agree about Bernie - she should win an award for Most Valuable Etsy Shipper!

Sandra Walker said...

That fresh snow is certainly pretty! We got 3 or 4" on Christmas Eve evening, just the quintessential snowfall, and Christmas Day morning was magical! It's all gone again but not to fear, we have Jan/Feb where there will be more. Great little trick for making 4-patches, and thanks- I hadn't looked to see what colour January is, and 2021 is the year of strings!

piecefulwendy said...

Nice post, Diann! Happy New Year to you and Mike!

Susie H said...

I read and loved "My Grandmother Told Me to Tell You She's Sorry" and several other books by Fredrik Backman. As a matter of fact I have "Anxious People" on hold for me through my library. It looks to be coming up in about a week. Thanks for reminding me about the really cool way to get a couple of 4-patches. I always forget that method and need to remember it. Happy New Year!

Jill at emeraldcottage said...

Creating squares in this way always seems magical to me!
Wishing you and all your family a very happy and peaceful New Year, Jillxx

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Diann! Well, isn't that just the coolest and cleverest thing for making 4-patches?! And your fabrics play so nicely together. Yes, pink for the January RSC - we are playing along this year! Happy New Year to you and DH. ~smile~ Roseanne

chrisknits said...

What a great trick! Happy New Year!

The Joyful Quilter said...

You made a nice head-start on PINK month for the RSC, Diann! About your book... I loved that book, but several of my friends couldn't get into it.

MissPat said...

Thanks for the four patch tip. I'll give it a try. We've had very little snow so far and a little icing is expected tomorrow night. Thankfully we have no where to go. Happy New Year.
Pat

PaintedThread said...

Pretty snow! I hope we get some soon. "My Grandmother..." sounds a bit like Big Fish, which was a fun tale. Pretty squares.

Kate said...

We had snow this morning, but it looks like it's already melting away. Those 4-patches look so crisp. Looking forward to seeing all the new things you start in 2020.