Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, May 8, 2020

This week in greens...

Even though it feels like I am mostly staying home, except for grocery shopping, this week flew by!  Amazing how that happens... but I did find some time to sew with green.

I've been keeping up with Heartspun Quilts' Safekeeping Sew Along, just making one 4.5 inch block a week.  This week's block is my favorite so far, called Colorado Beauty.

There is one more block to make, 
and then a simple setting to make a tiny runner.  
Should be a fun finish for this week!

A few more scrappy darker green 4 patches were made as leaders and enders, and I started sewing them into the double 4 patches with the blue background fabric.


And then, silly me... I started something new... 🤣  I've had this jelly roll sort of nagging at me for a couple years now.  It's full of pretty fabrics in all shades of green, cream/gold, and purple, plus it sparkles!  I won this in a giveaway, and it came without the wrapper, so I'm not sure what fabric line it is, but it is pretty!


For quite awhile, I've been on the lookout for a quilt that would be easy to make with this jelly roll, and found what I wanted to do in this post by Preeti of Sew Preeti Quilts.

So, just for fun this week, I pulled out the jelly roll and started pairing up darks and lights to sew together.  A little cutting, a little sewing, a little more cutting, a little more sewing - each pair of strips made two 8 inch finished blocks.


I've just made a few so far, but it will be fun to keep going with this and see what happens!


Hope you've had a good week!  Sharing at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday.






19 comments:

Michele McLaughlin said...

Thank you again for the inspiration! I love your blocks! Can't wait to see the table runner! I also love the Garden Party quilt pattern. I've had a jelly roll of xmas prints for ages and wasn't sure what to do with them! This is perfect! Can you tell me what length your rectangles are? I'd like to work on this one in the coming months....
Have a great day!
Mickie

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love those little 4.5 inch blocks! and they look so precise and square. I have several jelly rolls to use they have been sitting aside forever - I thought a log cabin with 2.5 inch logs that would be fast and nice but they are bright pink/red/orange color - I think I need some black to go with them.

Vicki in MN said...

I have a couple of jelly's and some FQ's that have been nagging at me longer than that. Always on the lookout for just the right pattern to use. I'll wait it out until I find it. Nothin' wrong with starting a new project, haha.

maggie fellow said...

that pattern is perfect for your jelly roll

Chantal said...

I too have a jelly roll that I won and don't know what to do with it. It's really not in my sandbox as the fabric is pastel colors AND pinkish! I like what you have done so far with your JR. Love Colorado Beauty too. ;^)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh! That is going to be SEW sweet, Diann!!

grammajudyb said...

You can’t go wrong with green and purple and sparkles! Anxious to see how this goes. Preeti’s quilt was fabulous!
Have a good week!

quiltingbydawn said...

Pretty fabric line and the colors! Can't wait to see how this one comes together!

LA Paylor said...

Oh! stunning use of jelly roll!!! I really like that!
your work is always tidy and neat whereas I trip over strings and threads!
LeeAnna

Kathy S. said...

What a fun jelly roll. It's okay to start something new (from someone that has 60-some projects going on). I love the Garden Party quilt pattern. It is perfect for this jelly roll. Sew on...

Cathy said...

Perfect quilt for a Jelly Roll. Someone gifted me a Jelly roll and I was thinking of doing something similar. I think I like this idea better than the one I had in mind.

Libby in TN said...

Lots of lovely green there!

piecefulwendy said...

Sewing and seeing what happens is one of the best playtimes in our sewing rooms, I think! I chased a squirrel today, when I had planned to sew the binding on the vintage UFO. Imagine that! Will be fun to see this quilt emerge, Diann!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

I think I know where you week went--into sewing and creativity! I can't believe those blocks are only 4.5 in.! The fabrics are perfect. And I'm still loving your scrappy four patches, plus the new blocks from the jelly roll. A very good week indeed.

Kate said...

You did have a really good week! Your new project is coming together beautifully, very pretty fabrics. Hope this next week is as productive.

Jo said...

I Love all your blocks! A squirrel is whispering in my ear and telling me to check out that sew along......

MissPat said...

Your little blocks are so precise. Nice that it's a small project (after the tiny Tuesday blocks, I've had enough of tiny blocks for a while). Also like the look of the new project using the Garden Party design. I have a few jelly rolls, bought early before I decided I didn't really like jelly rolls (or any precuts for that matter). I also don't like jelly roll race quilts, so this would be a great alternative to use them out and get some donation quilts ready. Happy Mother's Day.
Pat

Louise said...

I love the top block in the first photo! Does it have a name? Your new project looks great! Green and purple together are so pretty, like lilacs in a field :)

Susie H said...

Very pretty blocks. In particular I love the cute owl fabric in the green 4-patch. Had to laugh that you started a new project. I started Hope with GE Design last Sunday and told myself that I shouldn't but just couldn't help myself. I see the same thing happened to you! Good for us!!!