Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Saturday, May 9, 2020

QAL Catch-up

The Red, the White...

Another block finished up for the Book Club Hand-pieced QAL!  This one is Claire.  I'm guessing she is representing Claire from Outlander, a very famous and popular book series, of which I read 2 or 3 way back when they first came out!

Claire required curved piecing, and that went pretty smoothly for me.  I really appreciated Patty's tips for hand-piecing blocks with curved pieces!  My block is a little awkward where the pointy ends of the orange peels come together, but I'm hoping I can tame that a little bit when I add the sashing.


We've made 7 blocks now, so only two left!  

This afternoon I'll get the pieces ready for block 8, Emma, 
and that will be my slow stitching for the next few days.  I'll be watching 

And the Blue...

I finished up the four Block B's for mmmquilts Centred QAL yesterday.  These blocks go together quickly because they're all strips and after learning the process while I made the A blocks, I sailed along on these.


Here are the first eight blocks up on the Design Wall!

Two of my blocks have the final section that appears black, but it really is just the darkest blue I had!  When this quilt is all finished, I hope to find a good place to photograph where the true colors will show up correctly...


Linking up with Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching and 




19 comments:

Kate said...

Your book club blocks look great, Claire came out beautifully. The Centered blocks are looking good too. Love those blues!

Carol R. said...

those hand pieced blocks look so nice.. still ALMOST tempts me to try. LOVE the big blue quilt you're working on. Happy Mother's Day :)

Linda said...

Claire looks great! I read a couple Outlander books, but at some point it got too detailed in politics and I got bored -lol! But I do love the TV series. Surprisingly, my husband read all the books and really liked them! And he is really more of a Stephen King guy - go figure.
I know I've mentioned this before, but I really love the reds on your hand-pieced blocks. I can't believe you've already done 7!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

You've been busy! Love the redwork blocks.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Claire looks great - I've read all the books in that series! One of my daughters got me started on that series and I read all and she never did!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

More beautiful blocks! This time they are reds and blues, some of my favorites. Great job keeping up with the quilt alongs. I'm afraid I tend to get distracted and have to play catch up.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Very pretty block just like Claire! I just finished season 5 of Outlander this am! I started reading the books a few weeks ago.

Jill said...

Very nice hand piecing. Your curved block looks just fine. It'll be a show stopper when finished.

Laura said...

Loving the red and white blocks! You are inspiring me to add a red and white project to my quilt bucket list! :)

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

The red blocks are so cute and cheery! And those blues go so well together.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Claire and the progress shot of Centereda are both beautiful. Nice work, Diann!!

Karrin Hurd said...

Your Book Club blocks are beautiful! Great work! Hope you have a great stitching day!

Turid said...

I love your blocks, especially the blue ones.

Wendy F said...

I love the colors you chose for your Centered QAL. It is really looking great!

Deanna W said...

Your curve pieces will get better...more practice is what I find. Love all those blues!!

Deb A said...

I should go prep that block before I get more people in the house. Your curves look beautiful on the block.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Both of these projects are coming along quite nicely. I am really intrigued to see how the blue one comes out when it is completed. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Michele McLaughlin said...

I'm crazy about your red and white quilt, it's so wonderful!! The blue is fantastic and a great way to use up extra strips! Thanks for emailing me about the quilt that I hope to make into a Christmas quilt. Have two projects to finish first! Thanks again!

Kim Sharman said...

Love all those pretty blues. Your Book Club blocks are fabulous. This is going to be such a happy quilt. Love the block with the curves.