Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, May 24, 2019

This week in orange...

Our Tiny Tuesday block for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge was a rail fence block.  It was fun working with some little strips of orange and this pretty background fabric!

Thanks, Angela, for the directions for this block!  They can be found HERE

I think I might like this block better set straight rather than on point, but I can change my mind about that later in the year if I want.


Here are my three orange blocks for May, including a redo of last week's Bearclaw Bowtie.   I like it much better than the first one I made!


I also finished up an orange Tiny Rail block.


I've made three of these, each using different orange scraps.


And now I have 20 Tiny Rails blocks!  I started making these blocks as a way to use up the smallest scraps I have.  There are 50  (1.5 x 2.5 inch) pieces in each block, so 1000 little pieces all together! 

I'm still thinking I need 30 of these 10.5 inch blocks to make a good size lap quilt - it will be about 50 x 60.  So 10 more to go!

Sharing at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday.






17 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

Looking good!!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I just love the rail blocks they look like something I would make :)

grammajudyb said...

OMG, your tiny rail blocks look so good all together! Yummy!!!

Louise said...

1000 pieces! That really sounds impressive! When the whole quilt is done you can tell the recipient exactly how many thousands of pieces are in it and boggle their mind :)

Carol R. said...

I like your rail fence blocks... especially the one set on point :). I'm impressed with the 1000 pieces (so far) one... I can't imagine doing something like that myself, although I might have at some point - just didn't count the pieces and do the math. I don't know about you but I'm ready to leave the orange and move on to a new color. :)

Barb Neiwert said...

TONS of pieces - sometimes it's just better not to know how many pieces go into a project. If I know at the start (i.e., cut 840 2.5" squares.....) I get really dismayed. Just lead me blindly into the dark night, lol! I like the first block set on point, myself :)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Tiny Rails... Love, love, LOVE!!!

Pamela Arbour said...

Wow! Love all of your blocks. You are making a lot of progress. Nice eye candy!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

It's so inspiring to see all your tiny rail blocks together! What a great use for small scraps.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Great orange blocks Diann. I love how your rail fence quilt is coming along!

maggie fellow said...

the rail fence is going to be wonderful in rainbow

Jenny said...

Your rail fence blocks look fabulous all together. I love reading about others doing REC as it is so inspiring to see all the different designs appearing each month. This is my first time taking part so I have started out doing two easy blocks. But now I have more ideas of what to tackle next year!

Kat said...

I love the rail fence blocks! So cute!

Susie H said...

Your rail fence blocks are amazing. The TT one is really nice as you have some beautiful orange scraps. Grouping all the orange RSC blocks really lets you see how cute they are!!!!

Kate said...

You've got some great RSC projects in the works. Your rain fence blocks are going to make a beautiful quilt.

Linda said...

The orange is so pretty! Seeing your rail progress is kind of like reading about one of Crazy Mom Quilts scrappy quilts! I will watch from afar as I have a hard time with tiny scraps - lol!

Preeti said...

OMG Diann. those rail fence blocks have to be addictive. They are so fast and fun and they look so lovely.
I just swatted away three squirrels. And I am tempted again.
I love love love the layout. I am sure you will complete the remaining blocks in the block of an eye.