Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Saturday, May 18, 2019

That "Aha!" Moment

I love that point, when you're figuring out a quilt pattern, that you're able to say, "So that's how that's made!"  I had that happen this week as I began to work on block construction for my Beothuk Star QAL.

While still sewing and trimming the HSTs that are needed for this quilt, at which I am painfully slow -


on Wednesday, I read Sandra's post about constructing the first blocks.  Find it HERE.  That's when the Aha happened!  I pulled out my color-coded diagram of the version I'm making, and started outlining the basic block.


And then, here it is in my pieces and parts!


Before too long, I had one of the purple stars laid out on my design wall.


Since I am making the version where two stars are the same color (in my quilt, they'll be purple), I ended up laying out both of them side by side.



These will be the bottom left and top right quadrants of the quilt, and are (I think!) mirror images of each other.

I really like this gray fabric that has tiny squares of all of the other colors sprinkled throughout!  It is part of each of the four main stars, but also creates a center star as well.  


Now I'm ready to sew some stars together!


And that's what I'll be working on this afternoon!  

Sharing at Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap, and at
mmmquilts for the Beothuk QAL link up where everyone is sharing their progress!







14 comments:

Linda said...

It's turning out so pretty. Love that grey fabric!
I decided to stop fretting about trying to figure out the instructions for this quilt-along and just enjoy everyone else's version, and I am enjoying yours!

Louise said...

Who'd a thunk these stars were made from that smaller block? I haven't started sewing my blocks together, but at least all those darned HSTs are finished :)

Vicki in MN said...

Well that sure is a surprise to see how those stars are coming together, it's going to be gorgeous.

Libby in TN said...

That's an interesting little block. I bet there are many ways to put them together. I do like the big star, though!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love your purple stars

Jayne said...

It doesn't happen too often, but I love those Aha moments!! Your blocks are coming along beautifully ...I know that fabric!!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I really love your blocks. I end up changing directions and doing things my own way. It works out better for me but probably just because it's tailored to me.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wow!! My mind is blown. I'm not a very good "quilt detective."

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

My stars! Those blocks are pretty. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

piecefulwendy said...

Your quilt is going to be a good one -- love that gray fabric too! I have to correct two of mine (sigh), but thankfully just two.

Kathleen said...

I just answered a question I asked you as I decided to see what was up while I was on the road. These look terrific!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Diann! YES! I did the exact same thing. I couldn't see a block, didn't know how we could possibly make eight of them . . . until I read the instructions. OH! It all became clear. That purple fabric - oh my, that looks nice. Pretty, pretty, pretty! I didn't sew my blocks together yet - but they may be pinned together so I remember where they are supposed to be sewn. And there may just be one block sewn ahead for the next eight blocks. Maybe. ~smile~ Roseanne

Scrapatches said...

Looking wonderful, Diann! Very nice fabric choices. I had that "aha!" moment too when I saw Sandra's block units. I hope to have my first block sewn together tonight ... :) Pat

Sandra Walker said...

GRIN!! I love the quilt detective work going on! That may be because I also LOVE being a quilt detective. This is almost a mystery QAL I guess in that regard! You can construct this little quilt in a multitude of ways, including making one huge quilt (with a design wall that does not get any drafts or wind on it, ha) or with four big blocks, or with some flying geese (one of the participants has done that!) or with a big centre 6" square (another participant has done that), all of which make me pretty giddy I have to admit. I love puzzles and I guess this one is a good'un! Glad you and a few others had the Aha! moment. :-)