Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, May 22, 2019

I Like Thursday #135

Oh good grief!

That's what I said on Tuesday morning, when we woke up to this view out into our yard.

You know how the weather folks predict it, but you just can't quite believe it will really snow on May 21st?!  That was me.

In an effort to think of the positive side of this rain and snow we've been getting, I have to say the moisture is always appreciated around here, the grass is very green, and the birds love it, too.  I am also thankful there weren't tornados around here, like in so many parts of the country.

Needless to say, there hasn't been much outdoor activity at our house this week, other than to cover the garden plants and flowers every night, and uncover them when it was warm enough the next day!  But it has been good reading weather!

I've finished three books in the last 10 days or so, and I liked them all!


   
Each is a little bit different genre - I like Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache mystery series, and this was book 7.  Now I'm waiting for the next one!  Alafair Burke is a favorite author who writes mysteries also.  The Wife is one of those psychological thriller types where you're never quite sure who's the good guy and who's the bad guy, and there's often a twist at the end!   You, Me, and the Sea is realistic fiction that has a bit of a Wuthering Heights feel to it - cliffs, orphans, long-lost loves - but set in modern day San Francisco, a location I enjoy reading about.    


It's been good sewing weather, too, and among other things I've made some good progress on my blue and white hand-pieced blocks.  There are eight finished now, and I'm working on number 9!


This is called the HST block in the Hand-Pieced QAL, but I'm wondering if it has a traditional block name.  Does anyone know?


We've been enjoying a New Zealand series, "The Brokenwood Mysteries," on Acorn TV most evenings.  I like the main characters a lot, and am so fascinated with their accents!


And I just had to laugh when an order of Olfa rotary cutter blades came in the mail the other day!  I usually order a package of 5 whenever we're ordering other things from Amazon, because their price is the best I can find.  Here's how they came!

That's 5 of them, all right!!!

Hope you're having a great week!  Wishing everyone sunshine and warm weather and a great Memorial Day weekend!

Join me at Not Afraid of Color to visit the other I Like Thursday bloggers.









18 comments:

sewyouquilt2 said...

Love your quilt block.the snow...not so much lol. Thats funny about the rotary blades. Have a great weekend

Libby in TN said...

I think the block is sometimes called Double X and also one of those bird blocks like "flock of ..." Now I'm off to check Brackman ...

Linda said...

Wow on the snow! It has been an interesting spring so far, and this morning I read that Jefferson, MO had a catastrophic tornado last night. While I love crazy weather, this is so sad.
I'll be interested to see what Libby finds out about that block name.

Julierose said...

We love Brokenwood, too--wish they'd film another season!! I especially think that the pathologist is a riot!!
Thanks for the book recs --always looking for a good read;
and, S N O W --really?? yikers!! And here i was complaining about cold rain here...
Hope your Memorial Day weekend is wonderful, Hugs, Julierose
P.S. Maybe that block is called "Hovering Hawks"? not sure....but
perhaps....

Vicki in MN said...

Ok you keep the snow out your way my friend!! We have had some gloomy days with some rain, nothing major. But we are so ready for all things spring/summer, like warmer weather!!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Oh snow! I can feel you though. Yoyo temps, lots of rain. Everything is so green and lush and the birds are over the moon. My gardens and flowers, not so much. But rain means that I can sew and not feel too guilty.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

thanks for the book recommendations I will look them up on the library site. I can feel your eyes popping as you looked out the window and saw snow :) I would have been saying I can't believe we have more snow - but like you say better than tornadoes!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

LOL on the blades. What interesting books-thanks for the titles. I can't believe your weather or ours! Have a wonderful weekend. mary

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Diann! I've got both of those authors on my library hold list, just waiting for my turn to read them. Can't wait!! Oooh, those fabrics in your hand-pieced blocks is so pretty - love how that blue pulls out the blue in the background. Hmm, the Brokenwood Mysteries series looks good and thatNZ accent is lovely - I'll have to see if we can watch that. ~smile~ Roseanne

piecefulwendy said...

I'm all caught up on Louise Penny, so I'm hoping she writes another. I'm going to ignore the snow, I've had enough of that. Those blue blocks are so pretty!

The Joyful Quilter said...

The author will be in several locations near me next month. Plans as being made to go see her. Enjoy your "reading weather"!!

LA Paylor said...

is there a new season of Brokenwood? I love that show, and all the characters! Nice handsewing... you've really taken off with it!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

We also enjoyed Brokenwood and I have The Wife on hold at the library.
Well, I worried when we flirted with freezing overnight that we would wake to snow but not yet though several provinces have seen a little. Good thing it won't last long this time of year. Not into June surely to goodness!
Lovely piecing on those blocks.

MissPat said...

Wow, a lot to comment on this week. So sorry you and Leanna have gotten snowed on again. This is getting ridiculous. You've really gotten into the hand piecing and doing a terrific job of it. I think Louise Penny's Inpsector Gamache series is my all-time favorite series. You should listen to one on audio as the French Canadian accent really enhances the books. Here's hoping you get back to spring-like weather soon. Have a good weekend.
Pat

PaintedThread said...

Snow. That's crazy. I've been getting into the Inspector Gamache books - I wasn't sure after the first two, but now that I've completed the third I'm going to keep reading! Isn't Brokenwood fun? Love your blocks - blue and white is so pretty.

Juliana said...

I'm so glad you mentioned the Brokenwood Mysteries series. I watched season 1 ages ago and had no idea that there were 3 more seasons! And my library has them, which is great.
Your hand-sewn quilt blocks are beautiful.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I never enjoy the snow this late. Hopefully, it will melt quickly! I've seen that block before but have no idea what the name is. Thanks for the book recommendations as well as the Acorn TV series. Have a Happy Memorial Day!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Snow??????? That's a four letter word (you have my deepest sympathies). I am loving your blocks and projects, they inspire me! Have a wonderful week!