Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, May 3, 2019

A Little Aqua, a Little Orange

This seemed like a good week to pull out my Floral Sawtooth Stars project, which I hadn't seen since (yikes) last August!  When does something stop being a WiP and turn into a UFO?!



Using a fat quarter bundle called Blush and Blooms by Melissa Ibarra of Iza Pearl Design, up to this point I had made nine 12.5 inch blocks using various sizes of Sawtooth Stars.  This fabric line is a fun combination of floral and geometric prints, plus some blenders that read as solid, although they aren't really.  I love the variety of pink, green, aqua, and orange in these blocks!

After I got these blocks out earlier this week, it was time to decide what to do with them!  So, besides making a few smaller stars, I started cutting and sewing 4 patch blocks in lots of sizes.


They have ended up in blocks like these - 


And then added to the layout like this -


Every time I walk by my design wall, I switch two blocks or turn one to orient it another way, so this is definitely not what the final layout will be!  I'm planning to make a few more blocks so that I'll end up with 20 blocks total, for a quilt that will be about 48 x 60.


One of my favorite prints in this bundle is this one, with its pretty mix of yellow, green, orange, and aqua.


I decided to grab a bit of it to use in my Tiny Tuesday reverse appliqued heart.

So perfect with that aqua grunge that has a bit of yellow woven in!

Here's the finished block with its gray sashing - 


And all of the aqua/turquoise/blue-green blocks for April -

I'm looking forward to adding some orange to the mix this month!

Linking up with SoScrappy for Scraphappy Saturday!

























17 comments:

Kate said...

I like the direction you took with your Floral Sawtooth Stars, very scrappy. Your Tiny Tuesday heart worked out beautifully, that floral is so pretty. Happy stitching this weekend.

Libby in TN said...

So glad you got back to this one. It's beautiful! Are you following a pattern or is this your own design?

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

like your designs - I like having a design wall and when walking past move things around too - it is fun to get it just right and sometimes it ends up just like it started! Love that gray you are using in the last photo

Linda said...

I have the same question as Libby - is this a pattern? I love it. I'm getting ideas for my Christmas sampler. I had thought about alternating blocks of solids but now I'm loving your 4-patches.
Wonderful use of Grunge in your Tiny Tuesday blocks. :)

Vicki in MN said...

Yes indeed I am liking where you are going with your saw tooth star quilt. But yeh I think this is a UFO, but I bet it won't stay that way long now;)

Scrapatches said...

That is a really pretty fabric line in your sawtooth stars quilt. I like your layout with four patches and different sizes and how you are making it up as you go along. Pretty aqua blocks. The reverse applique heart is especially nice. A WIP is a WIP until you get it done in my book. Really, I have no UFOs ... I have an big beautiful lot of WIPs ... :-) Pat

grammajudyb said...

I too like your Sawtooth Star quilt. Good choice with the 4 patches!
I had trouble with my Tiny Tuesday reverse appliqué heart. I think I may redo it, and make sure I have a bigger seam allowance to turn under. Yours looks great!!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Lots of pretty colors and fabrics in this post. I really like where you are headed with the sawtooth quilt!

Louise said...

Great idea to add four patches to the sawtooths! And I love the little aqua grunge star, so sweet :)

maggie fellow said...

your applique is beatifully done as always - the floral will be beautiful

Cathy said...

I love your Tiny Tuesday blocks more and more every time I see them. The reverse appliqué heart fabrics you chose are perfect!

Jo said...

Love your star quilt design. Great size for charity quilts too.

Michele McLaughlin said...

I love your quilt! It is really fun and I love your arrangement of fabrics!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your haven't pulled that project out since August?! Well, it's DEFINITELY a UFO (in my book.) I'm SEW glad that you pulled it out AND opted for using a bit of the floral for your Tiny Tuesday block!

Angie said...

I love all the prints and colors in the Floral Sawtooth Stars! That soft orange is lovely. I may have to just go buy some of that gray Grunge fabric - it does look great with all your TT blocks!

Auntie Em said...

Love your stars! I always like quilts made up of different sizes of the same blocks. Have fun playing around with them!

Sandra Walker said...

Well, it's mostly thanks to you, and a bit of a random visit to Mari, that I seem to have joined in the Tiny Tuesday project! Love seeing your blocks, Diann. Your Beothuk Star win should be arriving today or tomorrow; it was posted from Detroit on Saturday. :-)