Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Saturday, May 4, 2019

More Hand-Piecing

A typical sewing day for me means time at the machine in the afternoons, and then some kind of hand stitching in the evenings while watching TV with my husband.  After getting into the routine of hand-piecing blocks and stitching them together into a small quilt top during the Hand-Pieced QAL, I got kind of hooked on hand-piecing!

So, what to do about that?  Start something new, of course!  And why not use up some scraps in the process?!

And how about a blue and white quilt while I'm at it?

I decided to make this a blue and white one block quilt, using the HST block from the Hand-Pieced QAL.  Easy and quick to piece!  These pieces make a 6 inch finished block.


In no time at all, I've made 4 blocks!  Here's one way to put them together.


But I really like them this way!


I don't think I'll run out of hand stitching to work on in the evenings for awhile!

Sharing at Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap! 
and at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.






15 comments:

Michele McLaughlin said...

This is a great idea and I love your fabric choices especially the lighter blue! You go girl!

Libby in TN said...

Very nice! I can see that block in lots of different colors, if you get bored with blue.

Kim said...

Blue and white always look fabulous together. Lovely hand stitching and the design layout you have chosen is great.

Vicki in MN said...

The second setting is awesome!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

so nice to see a convert to hand piecing! for such a long time it didn't seem like anyone wanted to hand piece and I seemed like the odd duck - now so many are hand piecing it is so nice to see this happen - it is so nice to slow the pace down I think

Jayne said...

Pretty blue blocks and either layout makes me happy! I really enjoy having some kind of hand work to do in the evenings too. If I don't have bindings to stitch on a quilt, EPP is my next project of choice!

Linda said...

I like your arrangement and colors! Very cool that you are continuing your hand stitching. :)

Deb A said...

Love your fabrics and such a fun block to pick for your next project!

Kate said...

You stitch pretty quickly by hand, 4 blocks done already! Very pretty, love the light and dark blue in those blocks.

piecefulwendy said...

I have a similar routine as yours. Love that second layout, and it's very fun that you enjoy hand piecing!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Pretty! That block is one I want to make some day as an RSC project. Have fun stitching!

And thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Quilter Kathy said...

Wonderful! That is very relaxing... great job!

Louise said...

So pretty! You're really getting into this handwork thing :)

chrisknits said...

That is going to be so pretty!!!

FlashinScissors said...

Pretty fabric, Diann, and I like the second arrangement! It’s nice to be able to stitch by hand.
I hand stitched a couple of pincushions this year. It was handy because it meant I was able to carry on stitching when I was out and about.
Hugs,
Barbara xx