Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, May 15, 2019

I Like Thursday #134 - Flowers

Welcome back to "I Like Thursday," our weekly celebration of the positive things in life!  Thanks, as always, to LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color for getting us started on this journey.

I loved all the interesting plants that were growing everywhere we went in San Diego.  This pot was in the courtyard of our hotel.


Luckily for me, Mother's Day means it's planting time where I live, so that's what I've been working on this week!  Although I would not say I have a green thumb, I do enjoy planting things each year and adding color to my yard!

Tiny to begin with, but they will fill up this big pot before too long!

And while we were at it, we planted some veggies in the new raised bed garden planter.

Hoping these will bring us fresh tomatoes and peppers later in the summer!

Meanwhile, in the sewing room, I've been playing with flowers, too.  This pretty orange/coral fabric is part of my Beothuk Star QAL project, and since I didn't need all of it for the HSTs I needed to make, I decided it would make a great headdress and skirt for one of Preeti's International Sister blocks.

My lady has sparkly age spots, lol - just like her maker!

I also liked getting caught up on the parts I needed to make for Carole's Scrap Dance Minuet mystery over at From My Carolina Home.


There are bricks, flying geese, and four patches involved.  I'm making the table topper size out of my August Blogger Bundle that Carole curated for Needle and Thread Fabrics last year.  There are a couple of pretty florals in this bunch, too.  Since I bought half yards, I'll have enough to make one of these for my mom, whose birthday is in August!

Happy Mail arrived the other day in a package from Sandra at mmmquilts who is sponsoring the Beothuk Star QAL.  I won a charm pack of this pretty fabric that has yellows, grays, and black.

This will be fun to play with!  Thank you, Sandra!

And, finally, it was fun to see the first goose mama and papa with their babies at the golf course yesterday.

Little fuzzy goslings, and very protective parents!

Happy Thursday, friends!  Hope you're having a great week!


















17 comments:

sewyouquilt2 said...

Aw love the geese family. Great things to like

Michele McLaughlin said...

Your projects are lovely--Love your color choices! Gardening is so much fun and enjoyed seeing your pics! Have a great day!

Libby in TN said...

Pretty flowers. A goose landed on our rock bluff one day this week and it blocked out the sun. They are huge with wings spread out! Just wish they weren't so dang messy.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Great likes. The pots in San Diego with the succulents are pretty. I am jealous we are too wet to do much of anything. Love the geese and the goslings.

Louise said...

We've been seeing lots of duck and goose families here, too. I love it when the babies are so fuzzy! Mallard ducklings have the best little peep voices, too. Your international Lady looks great :)

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Are those petunias? I discovered last summer how long lasting they can be and colourful too. You have some wonderful blocks for your sal's on the go. I always admire your piecing skills, Diann, as you know.
Ducklings are just the cutest things.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you have a lot of nice projects going they are looking great- glad you finally have planting season!

The Joyful Quilter said...

You were SEW right about that ORANGE print being perfect for one of Preeti's blocks!!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Diann! Oh to be planting already - we have to wait two more weeks per the farmer's. I saw a tip on Facebook about adding 1 tsp of Epsom salts to 4 cups of water. Spray that mixture on peppers, tomatoes and something else when you plant them and then again 10 days later. They say the plants like the extra magnesium and grow bigger with more harvest. I'm going to give it a try this year! Oh those fabrics from Sandra are SO beautiful. I just adore that top fabric with the leaves and those colors!! ~smile~ Roseanne

Suzanne said...

The charm pack color is so lovely. I like the little goose family out for a walk.

PaintedThread said...

I love the little pink flowers with the succulents. What a pretty combo. Ooh - I like the charm pack you won. Goslings! they're cute when they're that fuzzy.

piecefulwendy said...

We'll be shopping for flowers on Monday, after our rainy weekend. Love that little block designed by Preeti. I'm hoping to make some soon too! Fun post!

Linda said...

Love the petunias! Hope you have great luck with your veggies. Your table topper is going to be really pretty.

Kate said...

Hope you had a great Mother's Day. You've got lots of pretty new fabrics to pet and play with. Enjoy your stitching time this weekend.

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Oh my goodness-so many pretty blocks. Some of them look tiny. Congrats on the charm pack-very pretty. Oh and those ducklings,sweet.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I really love the sew alongs you're working on. Your fabrics are gorgeous. You've made some great blocks. You're a wonderful quilter!

LA Paylor said...

how pretty the Sandiego pot is, and are yours still alive? We lost several big tree limbs despite shaking them mid way the storm. Pretty blocks, congrats on the win. You'll do something very cool with it.
LeeAnna