Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

I Like Thursday #63 - a New Year

Happy New Year, friends!  I hope you enjoyed the last night of 2017.  I loved this meme I found on Facebook -


I definitely did some sewing on New Year's Eve, and may have also watched several episodes of our latest favorite British detective show on Netflix, "Broadchurch."

I like having a roast in the crockpot - it smelled so good all day!  I even successfully made my own gravy out of the juices.  Add some roasted veggies and it made a really easy and tasty dinner!


I like starting a new quilt in the new year.


I especially like that my son asked me to make him a new quilt!  The first quilt I made him, when he was in college, is starting to fall apart.  He asked for "earthy" colors, so I put together this pretty bundle of Grunge fat quarters.  I've just started cutting into it this week.

I like trying something new - felted wool dryer balls, made for me by a friend.


Today was the first load of was I used them with - and I think they worked really well!  The only thing that takes some getting used to is the "bumping" sound that the dryer balls make when the dryer is going!  :)


I like the Nook app that I put on my tablet.  (I have a Kindle app, too.)  I can buy and  download  ebooks from both Barnes and Noble and Amazon.  One neat thing about the Barnes and Noble app is something they have called Serial Reads.  They offer a chapter of a book a day for a month - for free!


And speaking of reading, I have really liked keeping a written record of all the books I've read since January 1st of 2017!


I kept it up all year, and was curious if I would read 50 books, but I actually read 61!  I'm planning to keep up my list this year, too.  Too bad I didn't start doing this years ago - wouldn't that be a life list?!

I liked this photo that my husband took of the Super Moon setting early on Tuesday morning.


I also liked this article from earthsky.org that had some really amazing photos of the super moon!

Hope you are having a great first week of 2018!  I'm joining in with LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color for her I Like Thursday party.




13 comments:

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Isn't Broadchurch awesome?!?!? One of my favorite shows when I watch TV. Great fabrics for a quilt. I adore the grunge fabric, the colors, the hand. I bought some dryer balls recently too. I like them so far, except when I am taking laundry out and one falls on the floor and Bobbin takes off with it. I used to keep track of my reading list (because I kept buying the same books over and over) then I moved it to an excel sheet. I use goodreads now to record my books. I listen to books while I am sewing or cooking. I love keeping track of how many I go through in a year.

Linda said...

I LOVE Broadchurch! Sometime I have trouble understanding every word but I love hearing them talk. :)
I always get a cozy feeling reading about your "likes" and appreciate your sharing of them.

Jan @Cocoa Quilts said...

I've been using dryer balls for a few years. Love them.

Libby in TN said...

I just glanced out the window and the super moon is still hanging in the trees at 7:20 a.m. Isn't it fun to think of looking at the same thing when miles apart.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Diann,
Oh, I can smell that roast in the crockpot from here! I always add some banana peppers to the mix . . . yum! I really love that selection of Grunge fabrics! I used one for the elephant baby quilt that I made for Dominic, and it made the elephant look realistic. Those will look fab all together in a quilt - cannot wait to see it come together. Hmm, felted wool dryer balls - I hadn't heard about those. I'll have to check that out! I did not know about Serial Reads from B&N!! I really have to check that out as well. So cool, your list of books . . . maybe I should start one for 2018. Sometimes it seems like I read a lot - it's rather cyclical as some days I don't read at all. ~smile~ Roseanne

Home Sewn By Us said...

Oh, using Goodreads is a great idea! I did sign up for that last year so I guess it will keep track for me. Hmm, I'll have to go look at their website and see how many I've read! Thanks for the reminder. ~smile~ Roseanne

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Hi. I need to find those dryer balls-economical and natural. SCORE. I love the whole Grunge line-colors and feel. They press so beautifully. I have had a Nook for years and upgrade every few years. I finally finished re-reading Pillars so I'm ready to purchase book # 2. Love this post-have a great day! mary

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love roast in the crockpot - like the fabrics you picked out for your new quilt.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I saw Broadchurch on PBS a few years ago. The second season isn't worth watching as it is a remake of season 1 in a different city, almost down to the dialog. Have you looked at Goodreads? Keeping your lists there can help you if you don't have your book list with you while int he stores, and also you can get recommendations based on what books you have read and liked or not liked. It takes a while to build your lists, but the recommendations get to the point of being spot on after a while. Plus you can read reviews easily, and avoid the time wasters or wall-bangers.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Congrats on successful year! 61 books--WOW! Your new quilt will be fantastic with that fabric! It's always so nice when our boys request a quilt, isn't it? Have a wonderful day!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I too wish I'd kept a life list of books read...I lost the lists I did have. 61 books is amazing, that's more than one a week.
Wonderful to have a new quilt project that will be wanted and enjoyed. Perfect fabrics for a young fellow.
We too looked at the supermoon and I must share my "not very good" photo I took. The illumination was awesome to witness and I love the idea that we looked at the same moon, though many miles apart.

LA Paylor said...

I am totally disorganized with things! Keeping a book journal is brilliant. I just finished one and forgot to log it in to my blog list. sheesh. You get a lot more read than I do... I read at night and fall asleep at one chapter.

Kate said...

Your 2018 got off to a great start. I didn't realize that B&N had a Nook app, that would be really cool for the SIT. Hopefully you've also been able to get in lots of stitching time this year.