Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

I Like Thursday #64

Good Morning, friends!  We've been having some beautiful sunrises recently, and I was able to get this picture on Monday morning.


I liked that my camera captured pretty well what I was actually seeing, and that doesn't always happen!

I like these new wool socks that I bought at Cabela's recently.


They're warm and soft.  What cracks me up, though, are the L and R on them.  Can you see it?  What do you suppose happens if you put them on the "wrong" foot?  (Which I have already done!)  Are there sock police?  :)

Have you had your DNA tested?  Mike and I sent away for the kits from Ancestry.com for Christmas and our results came back this week.  So interesting!


I have to learn lots more about it, but I liked looking at what they've sent me so far.

I liked this book that my book club read for our January get-together.  If you like World War II historical fiction, I would definitely recommend it.  It's based on the life of a man named Pino Lella who was 17 when he got involved in the Italian Resistance during the war.  Italy is evidently often called the Forgotten Front because so few of us know what happened there during WWII.  I definitely didn't!


Have you heard of Project Quilting?  


Learn more about it here at the blog, Persimmon Dreams.  When I read about it, I was intrigued enough to give it a try!  Its beginning was inspired by the show "Project Runway,"  and it works kind of like the show.  A challenge is issued, and you have one week to make a quilt of any size that fits the parameters of the challenge.  The first challenge is called "Hometown Proud."  I've been working on a mini for it that looks like this so far - 


Green grass and fields, sunflowers, mountains, sun, and blue sky - but that is just the background.  The final project has to be posted and linked up by Sunday at noon, so I'll be back with more by then!

And the most important like for this week has to do with this picture!


We celebrated our 42nd anniversary this week!  This picture was,  of course, taken as we got into our little red Datsun pick-up truck to leave for our honeymoon.  Were we a 70s couple or what?!  I'm so thankful to have made it this far, and hope for many more years to come.

Hope you're having a great week!  Thanks, as always, to LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color who hosts our weekly parade of likes! 







15 comments:

Michele McLaughlin said...

Lovely newlyweds! Congratulations on 42 years! Your socks cracked me up, I had never seen that before! I can't wait to see more of your quilting project, will check out Persimon Dreams! Have a wonderful day and a great week!

Libby in TN said...

Oh, Diann, that photo is priceless! Our wedding photo isn't much different, only about 6 years later. I know what you mean about photographing the sky; you captured a beautiful sunrise.

Linda said...

Congratulations on 42 years together! We married the last year of the 60s and started our family in 1970, so we were for sure a 70s couple. ;)
Have fun with the challenge! Your offering looks great so far.

Vicki in MN said...

Happy Anniversary! I wish we could see more of the sunrise and sunsets, but we are sitting down with trees around us that obscure the view. But I did see glimpses of a pretty sunset this week-a little bit since there are no leaves on trees right now!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have never seen socks with the markings like that - just something cute added to them I would think. one of my daughters did the ancestry thing and we found it interesting because instead of having her as 50% half French Canadian as I am they had her as 50% Iberian Peninsula which if you trace French ancestry back far enough it would be from there but it had no French listed at all and that is what we have traced back to the 1500's with actual paperwork!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Diann,
That is SO cool! The DNA analysis - I haven't done it yet but it sure is tempting. Oh, and the sock police - HAHA! You rebel you, putting the R on the left foot. What - a Project Runway for quilting???!! I am running over to that website now - no time to read the rest of your post. HAHA! Aww, but let me for sure wish a Happy Anniversary before I dart away. Congrats to both of you - that pic is so sweet. ~smile~ Roseanne

PaintedThread said...

Happy Anniversary! That's a great photo. The sunrise is beautiful. And those socks! And the sock police - lol. I'm checking out the Project Quilting. All good stuff - thanks for sharing.

LA Paylor said...

well, you chose well and stuck the landing! I find it's a decision, to invest in one's marriage each day.DH gave me the ancestry kit but it's now in some box... yikes. Because of the expense of joining I wanted to do it when I had more time to dig into the results. Really important for those of us adopted with little info.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Love that jumper nowa tote back. I gave my teacher clothes to my sister who is a librarian. Happy Anniversary to the two of you. I would love to do a dna test as well; I've read that siblings can get completely different results so it is all interesting. What constitutes western Europe I wonder.

MissPat said...

Happy Anniversary. I don't see many sunrises because 1. The view is obscured by trees and house, and 2. I'm not usually up that early. But I do get to see some beautiful sunsets.
Re socks: my daughter gave me a pair of yellow socks that are library date due cards. Not as good as Lee Anna's flamingos, but pretty funny non the less.
Pat

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Congratulations on 42 years! I don't know why but the term Low Confidence regions? The term made me smile. You could really be a rebel and buy 2 pair of the socks and wear two R one day, and 2 L the other day. My grandson one time had socks for every day of the week. One day he came in and said you know it is Wednesday. I said yep...he said, well I am wearing my Sunday socks. :D

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Happy Anniversary Diann! That wedding picture is awesome. Hope you two celebrate many more years together :)

Karen S said...

Congrats on your anniversary!! That is special.
And your DNA results look very interesting, too.

Kristi said...

Congratulations on your anniversary!!! Our honeymoon car was a Datsun too (Datsun 210)! By the 80's though it was a beat-up old car!

Cathy said...

What a great post! We got our Ancestry DNA kits just before Christmas too (when they had them on sale), but haven’t done them yet. Thanks for the reminder! And I love seeing old pix, so it’s fun to see you and Mike as cute youngsters! Happy Anniversary!!