Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, January 5, 2018

In Search of Some Blues

A new year is here for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, and the color of the month for January is light/medium blue.  Angela, our lovely hostess of the RSC and Mari of The Academic Quilter have collaborated on a sampler quilt for us to play with, and I definitely want to participate!  I’m looking forward to seeing the first block, but while waiting this week, I pulled out my blue scrap bin to see what I have.



Awhile back I had cut some of the smallest dark blue scraps into 1.5 x 2.5 pieces for these blocks –


and they are now sitting by my sewing machine, waiting to be sewed into rows as I need them for leaders and enders.  I also started cutting up the smallest light and medium blue scraps for the light blue set of these little blocks.


Then I found some bigger chunks that are perfect for making some more bowtie blocks.


I know I need to at least double the number of bowtie blocks that I’ve already made in order to have a good sized quilt out of them, so now there are eight blue blocks!


I like the variety in this group of bowties – solid, print, stripes, text, light, and dark!  They will add a lot to my Scrappy Bowtie Quilt!
Linking up with SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday.









20 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Lots of blue scrappiness going on there! I am taking my blue scrap bin to retreat with me next week. I have a plan ... stay tuned.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I will be watching but not participating - I decided no QAL's for me - I just never keep up -

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Looks like you are on your way with your January blocks. I still have some blue string blocks to make but the rest are done. I look forward to the RSC sampler too!

scraphappy said...

It looks like you have lots of pretty blues to play with. I'm sure some of those scraps will be just right for Squared away.

SandraC said...

Lots of lovely blue scraps to get you started!

Vicki in MN said...

Onward to using up more scraps for you! Always fun to see what you whip up.

Chantal said...

Looks like you are all set for a wonderful blue month. Enjoy! ;^)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I like your blue blocks!

Kate said...

You made very good use of your light blues this week. I'm looking forward to digging into my scraps for this year's challenge.

Cathy said...

Oh, I like those cute little rails and I think we are both aiming for some big scrappy Bow Tie quilts. I have fun looking at your fabrics to see if I have any of them. I don't!

Deb A said...

Great job! I think you have a great start on the new year already.

Angie said...

Great use of your blue scraps - you're off and running!

Cathy said...

You have some great scraps there, Diann! Maybe you, Cathy L and me will all have bow tie quilt finishes this year!

Edith said...

Some nice blues you have there (my favourite colour), I too am planing on making the sampler in hopes of using up some of my scraps.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nice start on your BLUE scraps for the RSC!!

Northern Deb said...

Love your bow tie blocks! I have two RSC quilts from last year to finish up, otherwise I would be VERY tempted to make some.

newsurfiegirl said...

What a nice collection of blues! Good luck with your RSC sampler.

Karen S said...

A lovely collection of blues. the scrap challenge does help to use these up quite well.

Raewyn said...

Lovely blue work! A good start to your year of using scraps!

Kristi said...

You are on a roll! Love seeing the variety of projects you are working on!