Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, January 7, 2018

New for the New Year

Something I've never tried is repurposing an old piece of clothing into something useful, so I decided that I would find a way to do that this year.

I have had this old "teacher" jumper for years.  I got rid of lots of old work clothes after I retired, but for some reason I kept this one.  However, having not worn it once in the 2 1/2 years since I retired, it was time to do something about it!


I decided to try making a tote bag out of it, since that is something I use a lot!  The first step was to cut a large rectangle out of the front of the jumper and quilt it to a piece of batting.  I was able to get a 17 x 28 piece out of it, including the original pocket.


The straps (handles) came out of the back, and I used a piece of fabric leftover from my Stars on Autumn Lane project for the lining.


I added some interior pockets like I always do for my phone, keys, and miscellaneous little stuff.  And a magnetic snap closure, too!  

The lining fabric worked for the inside of the straps as well.


And here it is!



Joining in with Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!

And also with Kate at Life in Pieces for her 15 Minute Challenge link up, because I did sew every day this week, except one (when we were out of the house all day until late).  I sew at least 15 - 20 minutes every day as often as possible, and started that while I was still teaching to help keep myself sane!  Now that I'm retired, it's definitely different, but still needed!

I love this quote that I just found:

"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz




19 comments:

Libby in TN said...

That is just too cute! You have inspired me to dig out my denim crazy blocks I started over 40 years ago and use them in a bag. I don't know whether to thank you or ...

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that looks good and I love the decorative stitching on the pocket that you could keep from the jumper. sometimes it is time to let clothes go if we do not use them. I have clothes hanging in the closet from a cruise we went on years ago - I do not think we will take another cruise and by then the clothes will be out of date - why do I keep them? I never go anywhere to use them

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Great job! I still have a closet full of nice clothes I used to wear to work, that I rarely get to wear anymore. I have let some of it go, but it is difficult.

Unknown said...

I love your bag. Great job.

Vicki in MN said...

A great idea to re-purpose it and now you have something useful and more space in your closet.

newsurfiegirl said...

Love that bag! I also love that quote it did make me chuckle!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

I love your tote! What a great idea. Ans so pretty. I also like your quote. I boxed up my "good" clothes about 6 months after retirement and recently took out 3 dress pants and decided to wear them anyway. It feels nice to dress up some times. LOL. Stay warm and enjoy your day! mary

Marly said...

I love your bag. You'd never guess it's having its second life.

Meloney said...

wonderful bag. Love the quote

Barb Neiwert said...

I see your repurposed tote is a great hit! It reminds us all that we have things around us that can be put to good use. And congrats on meeting your Sew Each Day goal. It does help our sanity, lol!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Your quote made me smile! I'm a teacher and you are soo right, this linky and my 15 minutes of sewing a day is already helping me transition into a creative mode for the evenings. See ya next week.

Linda said...

What a wonderful idea! Love the tote. Repurposing is always much more fun to me.

MissPat said...

Your tote is too cool. Great repurposing. I have a closet full of jackets I wore to work and I hate to part with them because they're still good. Especially the LL Bean big shirts (corduroy). Around the house, i mostly wear sweatshirts. Guess I should give them away or make an effort to wear them now and then.
Pat

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Your bag turned out so very cute. Great way to reuse something.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I have a similar "teacher" dress that I should do the same thing with!! Thanks for the inspiration. Your bag turned out great!

Ivani said...

I agree, only in the dictionary LOL.
You did a great job transforming the jumper into a pretty bag. Well done!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

What a great idea Diann! I recently went through all my clothing and ended up putting all the cotton and denim items aside for repurposing. This inspires me to get them out and make something with them. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Karen S said...

Great result and very practical!

Kate said...

Very fun and cute! A very practical way to recycle what's not useful anymore. Congrats on finding time to stitch this week. Thank you for linking up!