Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, October 9, 2024

I Like Thursday #409

I've been baking again this week!  After making all that applesauce over the weekend, I decided to see what I could make out of it, and found this recipe for Applesauce Cake.  It is yummy!   I substituted chocolate chips for the raisins - that works just fine.  Interestingly, there are no eggs in this cake.  Googling that, it turns out that applesauce can be a substitute for eggs! I'd never heard that before.

This is like a snack cake - no frosting - but very moist.
It's good with morning coffee!

My flower garden is pretty much done, but the sunflowers decided to put out a last hurrah!  I was just about to pull them out the other day when we were doing some yard clean-up, but realized there were buds on them.


Judy sent me a fun surprise package in the mail last week.  She made these neat little fabric baskets that start out flat, but snap together in the corners to make a little basket.  Pretty fall fabrics, too!  Thank you, Judy!


I read the best book this last week - The Music of Bees, by Eileen Garvin.  Same author as Crow Talk which I read back in August.  She is really good at creating a story with characters you care about and adding science into it.  This book is about a beekeeper, so lots of fascinating information about bees.


LeeAnna's question of the week is about hay rides - have we taken one? did we enjoy it?  And I'm not sure I have ever been on an actual hay ride.  I did ride in a parade in a wagon filled with hay bales for us to sit on.  It was a float in a local parade with our Cub Scout pack.  I actually found a picture from back then!  Being in a parade was kind of fun - different than watching from the sidelines, that's for sure.


Hope you're having a great week!  Joining in with I Like Thursday at Not Afraid of Color.








5 comments:

Linda said...

I've saved that cake recipe, and good sub on the chocolate chips for raisins. Raisins are one of the few things I dislike. :D
Those sunflowers! Don't they just brighten your day!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Mmm Yummy cake!!!!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

how funny just last night I printed out an apple cake loaf recipe that is egg less as well I was thinking of trying it next week when the house will cool down even more than this week. I didn't want to heat the house up too much right now while I have windows open - It might get warm enough to shut the and put the A/C back on tomorrow for the weekend I think.
I have never taken a hay ride that I recall

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I make a sourdough applesauce cake that has no frosting. . .it is better the following day. Growing up on a farm, I've taken many hay rides--since we raised alfalfa, cut it for hay, baled it and then stacked it for feed in the winter. I've taken a few horse drawn wagon hay rides too. Those were fun just because it was a social event in the fall.

Jeanna said...

I learned that little tidbit about applesauce replacing eggs when I was researching baking in the upper elevations. Looks like the recipe you found was a success. Your sunflowers are making a lovely final showing. Arent' those little fabric baskets handy? I've received a few as cross stitch retreat gifts. We use them to catch our orts. My newest one was accompanied by a matching needlebook. I'll have to check out the book. Have you read The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Mon Kidd. It was pretty good.