Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, June 14, 2024

A QAL Finish to share!

This is my 6th year of participating in Sandra's (of mmmquilts) Spring quilt alongs, and the finished quilts never disappoint!

2022 - Popstar in Blue, 2020 - Centred


And then there is my all time favorite - Rainbow Neighbourhood - finished in 2023.  How can you not love a rainbow of houses full of fun details inviting you to look closer and closer?!


This year's quilt design is right up there on the list of my favorites, too, for many reasons.  I bought all the fabric for the quilt top at Hancock's of Paducah when we were visiting there in April.  After seeing some early versions that other quilters had put together, I decided I wanted to make my Luminous Layers in all solids - or solid-ish, anyway.  These are tonal solids from a Marcia Derse line called Palette.


Lots of HSTs make up this quilt, of all sizes.

Giant sized:


To teeny-tiny!


I definitely enjoyed putting this unique design together, and now it's finished!

Paducah Stars - 48 x 48

A close-up of some of the quilting and pink binding:


The backing came from a great sale at Missouri Star Quilt Co - two yard cuts for $10.  Couldn't pass that up!  

There's plenty of that left, too, so it will show up again
 - quite possibly in some scrappy blue blocks!  

And, finally, a close-up of the label.



Thank you, Sandra, for a very enjoyable 2024 quilt-along!

Linking up with the Luminous Layers quilt parade at mmmquilts.
And at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday
Melva Loves Scraps for Sew and Tell Monday 

























 

23 comments:

Linda said...

How pretty this turned out! Such an interesting pattern, all those big and little HSTs. The backing makes such a pretty complement to the front, and your quilting is perfection!

Nann said...

Oh, wow! What a quilt show! The stars are wonderful....and so are its predecessors. Bravo!

Kate said...

Luminous Stars turned out beautifully. The pink binding is such a cool frame for the quilt. It's fun to see all your other mystery finishes.

Anonymous said...

What a great QAL. Such a fun off center pattern. Your color choices are perfect.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

neat small quilts - I'm glad you stuck with the pink binding is looks great.

Vicki in MN said...

Beautiful finishes all around!! It was fun seeing your past ones too.

ButterZ said...

Such a wonderful quilt

grammajudyb said...

I always have enjoyed Sandra's QAL. I haven't done them all, sometimes the timing is just not right for what is going on in my life. But they are always wonderful to see. All your versions are wonderful!!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Hurray for you! What a lovely star quilt, made with fabric that means something to you.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Hurray for a beautiful finish! How fun to look back on previous finishes with this quilt along!

PaintedThread said...

Excellent finish. Yours looks lovely. It's interesting to see how different the pattern looks with different fabrics.

Kathleen said...

I love Paducah Stars. The fabrics from your trip and a sale backing - always fun to use in a QAL. I love seeing all your past Sandra QALs too, so much fun! This really is a stunning version - the fabrics all play so well together.

Chantal said...

Wow! Your Paducah Stars shine so bright ... and gorgeous! I'm in love. Bravo, Diann. It's my favourite too. ;^)

LA Paylor said...

great in blue, just stunning star blocks in general!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Woo Hoo on your finish, Diann and congratulations! It has been such a joy to follow your progress and this quilt will bring back warm memories of your trip to Paducah. It was so wonderful to see your past quilts as well. I can not wait to see what you have up your sleeve next on the quilting front. Have a great weekend. Hugs.

Cathy said...

Wow! I love it!

Mary R. said...

Your Paducah Stars quilt is gorgeous! I love the colors you picked.

Susie H said...

Fabulous job!!!! Your quilting on it is perfect!!! You should be very proud of this one too.

JanineMarie said...

I love how the color placement just draws my eye in to that small star in the "middle." Wonderful version of Sandra's fabulous pattern.

laurilli bazille said...

Hi, I just found your site. So sad I missed the QAL. How do I find the star pattern? Thanks.

Libby in TN said...

Stunning!

Tracie said...

I love your Rainbow Neighborhood and Paducah Stars. Happy quilts 😎

Jeanna said...

Paducah Stars is a beautiful finish. The pink binding is perfect for it, Diann.