Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Thursday, June 27, 2024

Table Scraps for June 2024

At the beginning of each month, after Angela announces the color for that month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, and Joy tells us what the added challenge is for our table scraps, then I start thinking about what I'd like to make for a small project.

June's color has been all shades of blue, and the extra challenge was to include watermelon - and I wanted to make little, scrappy flags!  Could I include blue and watermelon?  Sure!  So, I started making the little flag blocks that Melisa at PinkernPunkin Quilting shared with us a few weeks back.

They call for a blue 3.5 inch square for the star section of the flag ✔️
and strips (1.5 x 3.5 or 1.5 x 6.5) in scrappy reds and whites ✔️.
Do you see the watermelon slices?  

I had a few scraps of that watermelon print leftover from a quilt backing that I've been slowly using up and I was happy to find enough of it to use for a few stripes on my flags!

I made eight flags and then started cutting sashing and cornerstones until I had enough to surround every block.


A chunk of backing fabric leftover from Paducah Stars, some simple quilting, and matching binding, and voila!

32 x 15


I think this will make a great table decoration for our backyard cookout on the 4th of July!


And speaking of watermelon, a little slice of it was stitched up this week, with a blackbird friend!


Sharing at the Joyful Quilter's Table Scraps Challenge for June and at
Alycia Quilts for Finished or Not Friday.
SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday.





















 

15 comments:

Kate said...

Very fun flags! Using the turquoise as the setting works beautifully. Hope you have a very happy 4th of July celebration.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Very creative way to include watermelon, often a picnic treat for patriotic holiday picnics.

Linda said...

Love the runner! I really like the aqua and red sashing, just sets off those cute flags so well. You did a beautiful job on the finish! Is your son going to be the cookout chef on the 4th?
I'm up to a dozen flags so far and am thinking that is enough for a little wall quilt. I was going to make a runner, but I have things sitting on the table that would essentially hide the runner.
Have a great weekend!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I will get back to the RSC group soon - your doing really great with it.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What fun flags! Your watermelon stitchery is such a cutie! Well done on making so much progress!

grammajudyb said...

That is the cutest runner! The aqua in the sashing is perfect! I’m anxious to change out some of my decor to July! And then the watermelon cross stitch! Sweet!

Vicki in MN said...

Your flags turned out great, it will make your 4th table festive for sure!

LA Paylor said...

like your dynamic flags and wee watermelon slice. I'll post my TSC tomorrow... and need to get a real watermelon soon
LeeAnna

The Joyful Quilter said...

Adorable, Diann!!! So much scrappy goodness in that table runner. Thanks for playing along with the TABLE SCRAPS Challenge!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Those flag blocks are ADORABLE! I wasn't sure about the watermelon for this month but you made it work. I love the cross stitch. Is that for your homemade basket? It's so sweet!

Astrid said...

Love your flags and the table runner turned out great!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

These are adorable and what a pretty themed table runner you have there, Diann. I love everything about it esp. the cloudy blue!

scraphappy said...

What a fun table runner! The watermelon fabric is just too cute. So glad you were able to incorporate it.

Vivian said...

A sweet table runner and I like how you worked in the watermelon twist! Now that I CS, I can appreciate a little of it on the side!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

The answer is yes, I did find the scrap of watermelon fabric. Your ability to combine a myriad of challenges never ceases to amaze me.